May 31, 2012, 7:30 AM EST
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Bill Barnwell’s one of my favorite football writers when it comes to blending stats with digestible, interesting analysis. It turns out he’s a great fit for hockey, too, as he reveals that bigger teams don’t have an advantage in the playoffs. If anything, smaller ones tend to have a tiny advantage. It’s a great read, unless you hate things that have nice things to say about the Detroit Red Wings. (Grantland)
CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio presents a four-part series on the Jeff Carter/Mike Richards trades, focusing on how the two forwards moved on after their departure from the Philadelphia Flyers’ fold. (Part I, II, III and IV)
The Royal Half recaps Game 1 … of the 1993 Stanley Cup finals. (The Royal Half)
One of Fake Chris Kontos’ point from that recap is that the Los Angeles Kings were up 1-0 in the 1993 Stanley Cup finals only to fall to Patrick Roy & Co. It also should be noted that the New Jersey Devils have become accustomed to dealing with 1-0 deficits in this year’s playoffs, as this NHL.com story discusses. (NHL.com)
Considering the strong possibility that the next CBA will change how the salary cap is determined, it might be hasty to try to estimate what next year’s cap ceiling will look like. Still, it’s worth noting that another record year of reported revenue would give it every chance to go up – as much as it’s allowed to go up – next season. (The Hockey Writers)
Chicago Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman discusses the team’s weaknesses heading into the off-season. (CSNChicago.com)
While mainstream writers offer effusive, reverent praise for Martin Brodeur, stat bloggers often hold his good-but-not-great save percentage and other individual numbers against him. Check out this interesting bit, which weighs some of the arguments for and against the future Hall of Famer. (NHL Numbers)
Joe Haggerty’s 15 thoughts from Game 1. (CSNNE.com)
Dec 10, 2013, 1:41 AM EST
Vancouver is getting in the thick of things.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:00 AM EST
The Ducks are 11-0-2 in Anaheim this season.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:25 AM EST
He could miss more time, too.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:22 PM EST
No timeline yet for his return from various ailments.
Dec 9, 2013, 10:51 PM EST
Ottawa wins shootout by slim margin.
Dec 9, 2013, 10:21 PM EST
They’ve won six straight games at home.
Dec 9, 2013, 9:56 PM EST
There’s a chance Zbynek Michalek could be back, though.
Dec 9, 2013, 9:27 PM EST
First bout for Couturier, fourth for Turris.
Dec 9, 2013, 8:55 PM EST
Quite a way to end Columbus’ 162-minute shutout streak.
Dec 9, 2013, 8:42 PM EST
NHL’s Board of Governors ratified the Canadian TV deal.
Dec 9, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
“Well that’s just super,” the Blue Jackets probably didn’t say.
Dec 9, 2013, 7:31 PM EST
“There are other ways to respond.”
Dec 9, 2013, 6:53 PM EST
Adding some toughness.
Dec 9, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Red Wings actually fared well in his absence.
Dec 9, 2013, 5:15 PM EST
Jon Cooper knows it could be a lot worse.
Dec 9, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
“We’re pretty frustrated,” said Ryan McDonagh.
Dec 9, 2013, 3:55 PM EST
Anaheim’s coming off two impressive wins over the ‘Hawks and Blues.
Dec 9, 2013, 3:17 PM EST
Tough times in the Chicago goal.
Dec 9, 2013, 2:45 PM EST
All the latest from the blue paint…
Dec 9, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
They’re in Anaheim to play the Ducks tonight.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)