May 31, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Bill Barnwell’s one of my favorite football writers when it comes to blending stats with digestible, interesting analysis. It turns out he’s a great fit for hockey, too, as he reveals that bigger teams don’t have an advantage in the playoffs. If anything, smaller ones tend to have a tiny advantage. It’s a great read, unless you hate things that have nice things to say about the Detroit Red Wings. (Grantland)
CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio presents a four-part series on the Jeff Carter/Mike Richards trades, focusing on how the two forwards moved on after their departure from the Philadelphia Flyers’ fold. (Part I, II, III and IV)
The Royal Half recaps Game 1 … of the 1993 Stanley Cup finals. (The Royal Half)
One of Fake Chris Kontos’ point from that recap is that the Los Angeles Kings were up 1-0 in the 1993 Stanley Cup finals only to fall to Patrick Roy & Co. It also should be noted that the New Jersey Devils have become accustomed to dealing with 1-0 deficits in this year’s playoffs, as this NHL.com story discusses. (NHL.com)
Considering the strong possibility that the next CBA will change how the salary cap is determined, it might be hasty to try to estimate what next year’s cap ceiling will look like. Still, it’s worth noting that another record year of reported revenue would give it every chance to go up – as much as it’s allowed to go up – next season. (The Hockey Writers)
Chicago Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman discusses the team’s weaknesses heading into the off-season. (CSNChicago.com)
While mainstream writers offer effusive, reverent praise for Martin Brodeur, stat bloggers often hold his good-but-not-great save percentage and other individual numbers against him. Check out this interesting bit, which weighs some of the arguments for and against the future Hall of Famer. (NHL Numbers)
Joe Haggerty’s 15 thoughts from Game 1. (CSNNE.com)
Aug 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The worst should be behind them.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Is his poor Game 7 record reflective of anything?
Aug 2, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
In other words, how much longer will Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, and Ryan Kesler stay at the top of their game?
Aug 2, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
His newly signed two-year deal is an opportunity for
Aug 2, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
He’s got the size and skill to potentially make an impact.
Aug 2, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Andersen, Gibson & Khudobin have a combined 27 Stanley Cup playoff games on their resume.
Aug 2, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT
Will all of them play in 2015-16?
Aug 2, 2015, 11:48 AM EDT
That will eat up his first year of UFA eligibility.
Aug 2, 2015, 11:28 AM EDT
Can they close to final gap between them and the Stanley Cup?
Aug 2, 2015, 9:48 AM EDT
They avoided an arbitration judgment.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
They’re in win now mode.
Aug 1, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
He’ll add some toughness to the lineup.
Aug 1, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
New Jersey is still working on getting the 18-year-old signed to an entry-level contract.
Aug 1, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
The two met in the Czech Republic to get to know one another.
Aug 1, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Lehtonen and Niemi will account for $10.4 million in cap space next season.
Aug 1, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
He’s heading into the final year of his two-year, $5 million deal.
Aug 1, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
Winnipeg was affiliated with the Ontario Reign last season.
Aug 1, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
He signed a two-year, bridge contract worth $5.6 million on Thursday.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:22 PM EDT
He’s also a veteran of 616 career games.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 0
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 23
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)