May 31, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Bill Barnwell’s one of my favorite football writers when it comes to blending stats with digestible, interesting analysis. It turns out he’s a great fit for hockey, too, as he reveals that bigger teams don’t have an advantage in the playoffs. If anything, smaller ones tend to have a tiny advantage. It’s a great read, unless you hate things that have nice things to say about the Detroit Red Wings. (Grantland)
CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio presents a four-part series on the Jeff Carter/Mike Richards trades, focusing on how the two forwards moved on after their departure from the Philadelphia Flyers’ fold. (Part I, II, III and IV)
The Royal Half recaps Game 1 … of the 1993 Stanley Cup finals. (The Royal Half)
One of Fake Chris Kontos’ point from that recap is that the Los Angeles Kings were up 1-0 in the 1993 Stanley Cup finals only to fall to Patrick Roy & Co. It also should be noted that the New Jersey Devils have become accustomed to dealing with 1-0 deficits in this year’s playoffs, as this NHL.com story discusses. (NHL.com)
Considering the strong possibility that the next CBA will change how the salary cap is determined, it might be hasty to try to estimate what next year’s cap ceiling will look like. Still, it’s worth noting that another record year of reported revenue would give it every chance to go up – as much as it’s allowed to go up – next season. (The Hockey Writers)
Chicago Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman discusses the team’s weaknesses heading into the off-season. (CSNChicago.com)
While mainstream writers offer effusive, reverent praise for Martin Brodeur, stat bloggers often hold his good-but-not-great save percentage and other individual numbers against him. Check out this interesting bit, which weighs some of the arguments for and against the future Hall of Famer. (NHL Numbers)
Joe Haggerty’s 15 thoughts from Game 1. (CSNNE.com)
Jul 27, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
He last played in 2001 with the Edmonton Oilers.
Jul 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
He’s played four full seasons there already.
Jul 27, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
He has a few guys that can help make it happen there.
Jul 27, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
He was their final restricted free agent.
Jul 27, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
He emerged as the team’s No. 2 center last season.
Jul 27, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
That adds another layer to the Flames’ goaltending competition.
Jul 27, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
He has played in 132 NHL games.
Jul 27, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
It led to him having a minor procedure.
Jul 27, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
He’ll enter training camp with a shot of making the team.
Jul 27, 2014, 10:06 AM EDT
“I can be a lot better.”
Jul 27, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
He’s the last RFA left for them to re-sign.
Jul 26, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
We’ve hit that part of free agency.
Jul 26, 2014, 9:57 PM EDT
They’re both eligible to become free agents next summer.
Jul 26, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
They had the league’s third-worst unit last season.
Jul 26, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
He’s scheduled for arbitration on Friday.
Jul 26, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
It’ll be his third team in the past year.
Jul 26, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT
He was injured during World Championships in May.
Jul 26, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Reggie vs. Gustl: who you got?
Jul 26, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
Can they compromise by Tuesday?
Jul 26, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Positive updates following a scary situation.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)