May 31, 2012, 2:48 PM EST
Hockey Hall of Famer Igor Larionov has gone public with who he thinks the Oilers should take first overall at the upcoming draft — OHL scoring sensation Nail Yakupov.
“They’ve got to start to make the playoffs and start to play better as a team and be more consistent,” Larionov told TSN 1050. “I think Nail would be the perfect candidate [for them]. He can get right in the line-up and play hockey with all those young guys.”
Coincidentally, Larionov is the agent representing Yakupov and Alex Galchenyuk, another projected top-10 pick.
(Which I’m sure has nothing to do with this.)
While the Oilers are interested in Yakupov — Larionov said his client would visit Edmonton after the NHL Draft Combine — adding talent up front isn’t an immediate need. The club already has the likes of Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (19 years old), Taylor Hall (20), Jordan Eberle (22) and Sam Gagner (22) in its top six and desperately needs help on defense.
Ergo, the club might consider taking Everett blueliner Ryan Murray, who Oilers president Kevin Lowe has raved about.
While the prospect of adding Murray is enticing, Larionov says an Edmonton team with Yakupov in the mix would be something special.
“It’s fun to watch them and it kind of reminds me of the Edmonton Oilers of the early 80s and the Red Army team after Lake Placid,” he said. “There were so many young guys and we were very successful because [we] had hockey sense and skill and speed and desire to be successful.”
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 16
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)