Kopitar on beating Brodeur for game-winner: “World class goaltender, but I think I got the best of it tonight”
May 31, 2012, 12:13 AM EST
Shortly after his huge OT winner that gave L.A. a 2-1 victory and 1-0 series lead over New Jersey in the Stanley Cup finals, Anze Kopitar spoke with NHL on NBC analyst Pierre McGuire about the biggest goal of his career:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
– It was the first Cup final OT winner of the Slovenian’s career and his second-ever postseason GWG.
– Kopitar also now holds the distinction of becoming the first Kings player to score an overtime goal in the Stanley Cup finals. In 1993, L.A. went to OT three times against Montreal and lost all three: Game 2 (Eric Desjardins), Game 3 (John LeClair) and Game 4 (LeClair).
– Kopitar’s goal was his seventh tally and 16th point of the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs, tying him with linemate Dustin Brown for the team lead in both categories. Kopitar and Brown also share the League playoff lead in plus-minus (+14).
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)