May 31, 2012, 5:37 PM EDT
The Kings’ work in shutting down the Devils was more than effective as New Jersey was held to just one goal and limited opportunities. A day later, Kings players said they felt more than prepared for how the Devils came after them.
“We’ve been watching some video. There were no huge surprises out there,” Anze Kopitar said.
“They played hard. They have some skilled forwards that have some size too. They come in on the forecheck pretty hard. Everytime we’re in our zone we want to make sure we make strong plays and get the hell out of there.”
Jonathan Quick echoed Kopitar’s thoughts on what they felt the Devils would bring to the table and ultimately did do.
“I think we had a pretty good understanding of what they’d bring to the table to be honest,” Quick said. “They’re great on the forecheck, they create a lot of speed in the neutral zone. Those are two of the biggest areas we have to take away to have success.”
“He’s got a lot of speed and I’m aware of that. He likes to get open and take that shot,” Doughty said. “So my main objective is to not giving him a lot of room, not give him those open areas and I want to play him hard and do everything I can to take him out of the series.”
Kopitar summed up their work in Game 1 succinctly.
“There’s always special attention to those kinds of players with that kind of caliber. We have to make sure it’s not given to them. Every time you play against those kinds of guys you have to make it hard on them. I thought we did a fairly good job of that.”
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)