May 31, 2012, 12:28 AM EDT
Darryl Sutter is a man of few words, but the head coach of the Los Angeles Kings didn’t need many to sum up Game 1 of the 2012 Stanley Cup finals.
“Not much going on offensively for either team,” Sutter said after his team’s 2-1 overtime victory. “The way the teams play, there’s such tight quarters out there.”
The Kings and Devils combined for just 43 shots in almost three and a half periods Wednesday evening in Newark – a trend Sutter expects to continue as the series progresses.
“It’s pretty evenly matched teams, and there’s probably going to be more than one overtime game,” he said.
Kings forward Anze Kopitar scored the overtime winner on a breakaway at 8:13 of the first extra frame, and what he said about the Devils afterwards, he might as well have been saying about his own team.
“They don’t give up a whole lot,” he said. “You have to be really careful going through the neutral zone that you don’t make any turnovers, because they’ve got some speedy forwards and some forwards obviously that can finish.”
The Devils were caught out of position on the Kopitar goal, with defenseman Marek Zidlicky stranded up ice after pinching to keep the puck in the Los Angeles end.
When asked what happened on the play, New Jersey coach Peter DeBoer didn’t need many words either: “We made a mistake and they capitalized.”
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)