May 31, 2012, 9:52 AM EDT
Is the lengthy Phoenix Coyotes saga finally reaching a conclusion? Former Sharks executive Greg Jamison has been working to buy the team and it sounds like we might get some big news regarding his efforts in the near future.
“I spoke to Greg Jamison early today,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said on Wednesday. “He continues to do the two things he needs to do to secure the future of the Coyotes where they are, in Arizona: One, working to conclude a set of documents with the City of Glendale on the building management situation. And he continues to put his equity together.
“The City of Glendale I believe next week is supposed to vote on the management agreement. Once that’s in place, I think Greg will be able to conclude hopefully the finalization of his equity raise.”
Bettman hopes that the equity raise will be finalized in a matter of weeks.
Of course, we’ve been close to a solution before only to see it fall apart. The NHL is obviously hoping that the team will stay in Glendale, but at this point, they aren’t willing to rule out any possibilities.
Bettman was asked if he could say with 100% certainty that the Coyotes won’t relocate prior to the 2012-13 campaign.
“I can’t say anything with 100% certainty,” Bettman said. “I think the likelihood is, based on everything we know today, the process should conclude successfully, but it’s not something I’m in a position to guarantee.”
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 3
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 14
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 7
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 54
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination