May 31, 2012, 9:52 AM EDT
Is the lengthy Phoenix Coyotes saga finally reaching a conclusion? Former Sharks executive Greg Jamison has been working to buy the team and it sounds like we might get some big news regarding his efforts in the near future.
“I spoke to Greg Jamison early today,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said on Wednesday. “He continues to do the two things he needs to do to secure the future of the Coyotes where they are, in Arizona: One, working to conclude a set of documents with the City of Glendale on the building management situation. And he continues to put his equity together.
“The City of Glendale I believe next week is supposed to vote on the management agreement. Once that’s in place, I think Greg will be able to conclude hopefully the finalization of his equity raise.”
Bettman hopes that the equity raise will be finalized in a matter of weeks.
Of course, we’ve been close to a solution before only to see it fall apart. The NHL is obviously hoping that the team will stay in Glendale, but at this point, they aren’t willing to rule out any possibilities.
Bettman was asked if he could say with 100% certainty that the Coyotes won’t relocate prior to the 2012-13 campaign.
“I can’t say anything with 100% certainty,” Bettman said. “I think the likelihood is, based on everything we know today, the process should conclude successfully, but it’s not something I’m in a position to guarantee.”
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)