May 31, 2012, 9:52 AM EDT
Is the lengthy Phoenix Coyotes saga finally reaching a conclusion? Former Sharks executive Greg Jamison has been working to buy the team and it sounds like we might get some big news regarding his efforts in the near future.
“I spoke to Greg Jamison early today,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said on Wednesday. “He continues to do the two things he needs to do to secure the future of the Coyotes where they are, in Arizona: One, working to conclude a set of documents with the City of Glendale on the building management situation. And he continues to put his equity together.
“The City of Glendale I believe next week is supposed to vote on the management agreement. Once that’s in place, I think Greg will be able to conclude hopefully the finalization of his equity raise.”
Bettman hopes that the equity raise will be finalized in a matter of weeks.
Of course, we’ve been close to a solution before only to see it fall apart. The NHL is obviously hoping that the team will stay in Glendale, but at this point, they aren’t willing to rule out any possibilities.
Bettman was asked if he could say with 100% certainty that the Coyotes won’t relocate prior to the 2012-13 campaign.
“I can’t say anything with 100% certainty,” Bettman said. “I think the likelihood is, based on everything we know today, the process should conclude successfully, but it’s not something I’m in a position to guarantee.”
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)