May 31, 2012, 9:52 AM EDT
Is the lengthy Phoenix Coyotes saga finally reaching a conclusion? Former Sharks executive Greg Jamison has been working to buy the team and it sounds like we might get some big news regarding his efforts in the near future.
“I spoke to Greg Jamison early today,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said on Wednesday. “He continues to do the two things he needs to do to secure the future of the Coyotes where they are, in Arizona: One, working to conclude a set of documents with the City of Glendale on the building management situation. And he continues to put his equity together.
“The City of Glendale I believe next week is supposed to vote on the management agreement. Once that’s in place, I think Greg will be able to conclude hopefully the finalization of his equity raise.”
Bettman hopes that the equity raise will be finalized in a matter of weeks.
Of course, we’ve been close to a solution before only to see it fall apart. The NHL is obviously hoping that the team will stay in Glendale, but at this point, they aren’t willing to rule out any possibilities.
Bettman was asked if he could say with 100% certainty that the Coyotes won’t relocate prior to the 2012-13 campaign.
“I can’t say anything with 100% certainty,” Bettman said. “I think the likelihood is, based on everything we know today, the process should conclude successfully, but it’s not something I’m in a position to guarantee.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)