May 31, 2012, 9:52 AM EDT
Is the lengthy Phoenix Coyotes saga finally reaching a conclusion? Former Sharks executive Greg Jamison has been working to buy the team and it sounds like we might get some big news regarding his efforts in the near future.
“I spoke to Greg Jamison early today,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said on Wednesday. “He continues to do the two things he needs to do to secure the future of the Coyotes where they are, in Arizona: One, working to conclude a set of documents with the City of Glendale on the building management situation. And he continues to put his equity together.
“The City of Glendale I believe next week is supposed to vote on the management agreement. Once that’s in place, I think Greg will be able to conclude hopefully the finalization of his equity raise.”
Bettman hopes that the equity raise will be finalized in a matter of weeks.
Of course, we’ve been close to a solution before only to see it fall apart. The NHL is obviously hoping that the team will stay in Glendale, but at this point, they aren’t willing to rule out any possibilities.
Bettman was asked if he could say with 100% certainty that the Coyotes won’t relocate prior to the 2012-13 campaign.
“I can’t say anything with 100% certainty,” Bettman said. “I think the likelihood is, based on everything we know today, the process should conclude successfully, but it’s not something I’m in a position to guarantee.”
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 8
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)