May 31, 2012, 10:11 AM EDT
The NHL and NHLPA are expected to begin talks on a new CBA in the near future. There has been plenty of speculation about what NHL commissioner Gary Bettman will ask for and how NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr will approach the talks.
In the coming weeks, we might begin to get a sense for which rumors have weight. However, one thing that’s very unlikely to happen is the players’ union agreeing to another sizable salary rollback.
The players had their salaries reduced by 24 percent as part of the lockout-ending agreement and Fehr’s reaction when asked if the players would accept a similar rollback this time around was telling.
“Don’t you like me in this job?” Fehr cracked. “All I can say is that we won’t make any economic proposals that the players aren’t aware of or don’t approve of. That’s first and foremost. Secondly they recognized that they made enormous concessions in the last round of bargaining. That is part of the backdrop that leads us into this round of negotiations along with a myriad of other factors.
“We’ll see what happens when we get to that. I don’t make predictions. [Coming to mutual agreement] is the goal. Hopefully that’s a goal that everybody shares.”
It’s safe to assume that everyone wants to reach an agreement. In the coming weeks, we’ll start to get a better sense for how long that will take.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 59
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal