May 31, 2012, 10:11 AM EDT
The NHL and NHLPA are expected to begin talks on a new CBA in the near future. There has been plenty of speculation about what NHL commissioner Gary Bettman will ask for and how NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr will approach the talks.
In the coming weeks, we might begin to get a sense for which rumors have weight. However, one thing that’s very unlikely to happen is the players’ union agreeing to another sizable salary rollback.
The players had their salaries reduced by 24 percent as part of the lockout-ending agreement and Fehr’s reaction when asked if the players would accept a similar rollback this time around was telling.
“Don’t you like me in this job?” Fehr cracked. “All I can say is that we won’t make any economic proposals that the players aren’t aware of or don’t approve of. That’s first and foremost. Secondly they recognized that they made enormous concessions in the last round of bargaining. That is part of the backdrop that leads us into this round of negotiations along with a myriad of other factors.
“We’ll see what happens when we get to that. I don’t make predictions. [Coming to mutual agreement] is the goal. Hopefully that’s a goal that everybody shares.”
It’s safe to assume that everyone wants to reach an agreement. In the coming weeks, we’ll start to get a better sense for how long that will take.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)