May 31, 2012, 10:11 AM EDT
The NHL and NHLPA are expected to begin talks on a new CBA in the near future. There has been plenty of speculation about what NHL commissioner Gary Bettman will ask for and how NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr will approach the talks.
In the coming weeks, we might begin to get a sense for which rumors have weight. However, one thing that’s very unlikely to happen is the players’ union agreeing to another sizable salary rollback.
The players had their salaries reduced by 24 percent as part of the lockout-ending agreement and Fehr’s reaction when asked if the players would accept a similar rollback this time around was telling.
“Don’t you like me in this job?” Fehr cracked. “All I can say is that we won’t make any economic proposals that the players aren’t aware of or don’t approve of. That’s first and foremost. Secondly they recognized that they made enormous concessions in the last round of bargaining. That is part of the backdrop that leads us into this round of negotiations along with a myriad of other factors.
“We’ll see what happens when we get to that. I don’t make predictions. [Coming to mutual agreement] is the goal. Hopefully that’s a goal that everybody shares.”
It’s safe to assume that everyone wants to reach an agreement. In the coming weeks, we’ll start to get a better sense for how long that will take.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)