May 31, 2012, 4:51 PM EDT
The news of Nicklas Lidstrom‘s retirement was a big part of the discussion on practice day for the Los Angeles Kings and for both Jonathan Quick and Drew Doughty, their thoughts on the legendary defenseman were just what you’d think from a pair of the league’s younger players.
Doughty in particular had glowing thoughts on Lidstrom.
“He had an unbelievable career. Growing up as a young kid I looked up to him,” Doughty said. “He’s one of the best defensemen in the game. He deserves all the credit he gets and he’s a big reason why the Detroit Red Wings won so many Cups.”
Did Doughty model himself after Lidstrom? You better believe it.
“There were times I’d watch video on him my first year in the league just to kinda see how positionally good he was. Just to learn those kinds of things from him. He’s a real leader and why he’s been their captain for so long.”
Lidstrom was known a bit for his prowess on the power play and ability to read the game so well and Quick talked about how he got to see that up close and personal.
“You know you see a lot of guys take big hits, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him take a big hit, he reads plays so well,” Quick said. “Him on the power play that’s something that was more of a concern for me. He had a few multi-point games against me I know that for sure. What he did for that Detroit Red Wings organization and the game of hockey is incredible.”
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 4
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 5
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 9
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 8
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 17
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (51)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)