May 31, 2012, 4:51 PM EST
The news of Nicklas Lidstrom‘s retirement was a big part of the discussion on practice day for the Los Angeles Kings and for both Jonathan Quick and Drew Doughty, their thoughts on the legendary defenseman were just what you’d think from a pair of the league’s younger players.
Doughty in particular had glowing thoughts on Lidstrom.
“He had an unbelievable career. Growing up as a young kid I looked up to him,” Doughty said. “He’s one of the best defensemen in the game. He deserves all the credit he gets and he’s a big reason why the Detroit Red Wings won so many Cups.”
Did Doughty model himself after Lidstrom? You better believe it.
“There were times I’d watch video on him my first year in the league just to kinda see how positionally good he was. Just to learn those kinds of things from him. He’s a real leader and why he’s been their captain for so long.”
Lidstrom was known a bit for his prowess on the power play and ability to read the game so well and Quick talked about how he got to see that up close and personal.
“You know you see a lot of guys take big hits, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him take a big hit, he reads plays so well,” Quick said. “Him on the power play that’s something that was more of a concern for me. He had a few multi-point games against me I know that for sure. What he did for that Detroit Red Wings organization and the game of hockey is incredible.”
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)