May 31, 2012, 4:51 PM EDT
The news of Nicklas Lidstrom‘s retirement was a big part of the discussion on practice day for the Los Angeles Kings and for both Jonathan Quick and Drew Doughty, their thoughts on the legendary defenseman were just what you’d think from a pair of the league’s younger players.
Doughty in particular had glowing thoughts on Lidstrom.
“He had an unbelievable career. Growing up as a young kid I looked up to him,” Doughty said. “He’s one of the best defensemen in the game. He deserves all the credit he gets and he’s a big reason why the Detroit Red Wings won so many Cups.”
Did Doughty model himself after Lidstrom? You better believe it.
“There were times I’d watch video on him my first year in the league just to kinda see how positionally good he was. Just to learn those kinds of things from him. He’s a real leader and why he’s been their captain for so long.”
Lidstrom was known a bit for his prowess on the power play and ability to read the game so well and Quick talked about how he got to see that up close and personal.
“You know you see a lot of guys take big hits, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him take a big hit, he reads plays so well,” Quick said. “Him on the power play that’s something that was more of a concern for me. He had a few multi-point games against me I know that for sure. What he did for that Detroit Red Wings organization and the game of hockey is incredible.”
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 1
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 2
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 33
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)