May 31, 2012, 4:51 PM EDT
The news of Nicklas Lidstrom‘s retirement was a big part of the discussion on practice day for the Los Angeles Kings and for both Jonathan Quick and Drew Doughty, their thoughts on the legendary defenseman were just what you’d think from a pair of the league’s younger players.
Doughty in particular had glowing thoughts on Lidstrom.
“He had an unbelievable career. Growing up as a young kid I looked up to him,” Doughty said. “He’s one of the best defensemen in the game. He deserves all the credit he gets and he’s a big reason why the Detroit Red Wings won so many Cups.”
Did Doughty model himself after Lidstrom? You better believe it.
“There were times I’d watch video on him my first year in the league just to kinda see how positionally good he was. Just to learn those kinds of things from him. He’s a real leader and why he’s been their captain for so long.”
Lidstrom was known a bit for his prowess on the power play and ability to read the game so well and Quick talked about how he got to see that up close and personal.
“You know you see a lot of guys take big hits, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him take a big hit, he reads plays so well,” Quick said. “Him on the power play that’s something that was more of a concern for me. He had a few multi-point games against me I know that for sure. What he did for that Detroit Red Wings organization and the game of hockey is incredible.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)