May 31, 2012, 4:51 PM EDT
The news of Nicklas Lidstrom‘s retirement was a big part of the discussion on practice day for the Los Angeles Kings and for both Jonathan Quick and Drew Doughty, their thoughts on the legendary defenseman were just what you’d think from a pair of the league’s younger players.
Doughty in particular had glowing thoughts on Lidstrom.
“He had an unbelievable career. Growing up as a young kid I looked up to him,” Doughty said. “He’s one of the best defensemen in the game. He deserves all the credit he gets and he’s a big reason why the Detroit Red Wings won so many Cups.”
Did Doughty model himself after Lidstrom? You better believe it.
“There were times I’d watch video on him my first year in the league just to kinda see how positionally good he was. Just to learn those kinds of things from him. He’s a real leader and why he’s been their captain for so long.”
Lidstrom was known a bit for his prowess on the power play and ability to read the game so well and Quick talked about how he got to see that up close and personal.
“You know you see a lot of guys take big hits, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him take a big hit, he reads plays so well,” Quick said. “Him on the power play that’s something that was more of a concern for me. He had a few multi-point games against me I know that for sure. What he did for that Detroit Red Wings organization and the game of hockey is incredible.”
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)