May 31, 2012, 12:15 AM EST
Game 1 of the 2012 Stanley Cup finals started off pretty sleepy, but the Los Angeles Kings carried much of the play – especially early – in a 2-1 OT win against the New Jersey Devils. The Devils seemed particularly flat, which is something that head coach Peter DeBoer and his players didn’t deny, as Katie Strang reports.
“It would have been nice to get a bounce, but I don’t believe we deserved to win that game,” DeBoer said.
That quote might really tell the story of that contest. The Devils didn’t play well, but there were a few cringe-worthy near-misses, particularly when it came to shots that sailed over the net. David Clarkson had two moments that might make him lose some sleep while Mark Fayne‘s open net miss could be the most haunting one of all.
The Devils seemed a bit more comfortable as each period went along, but there was a noticeable difference between the two teams. For New Jersey to square things away, they’ll need to play a lot better in Game 2 and the rest of this series.
Getting a few bounces wouldn’t hurt either.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 28
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)