May 31, 2012, 12:15 AM EDT
Game 1 of the 2012 Stanley Cup finals started off pretty sleepy, but the Los Angeles Kings carried much of the play – especially early – in a 2-1 OT win against the New Jersey Devils. The Devils seemed particularly flat, which is something that head coach Peter DeBoer and his players didn’t deny, as Katie Strang reports.
“It would have been nice to get a bounce, but I don’t believe we deserved to win that game,” DeBoer said.
That quote might really tell the story of that contest. The Devils didn’t play well, but there were a few cringe-worthy near-misses, particularly when it came to shots that sailed over the net. David Clarkson had two moments that might make him lose some sleep while Mark Fayne‘s open net miss could be the most haunting one of all.
The Devils seemed a bit more comfortable as each period went along, but there was a noticeable difference between the two teams. For New Jersey to square things away, they’ll need to play a lot better in Game 2 and the rest of this series.
Getting a few bounces wouldn’t hurt either.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)