May 31, 2012, 1:08 PM EDT
If Game 1 was any indication, Kovalchuk will see plenty of the Kings’ top blueliner during this series.
Also, it won’t be much fun for Kovi.
Doughty (along with Rob Scuderi) kept the Russian sniper quiet throughout Wednesday’s game and Kovalchuk finished with just one shot on goal in 21:13 of ice time.
Today, Devils head coach Peter DeBoer was asked about the matchup:
Q. Your thoughts on the way Ilya Kovalchuk and Drew Doughty went at it? Was Doughty that good last game or was Kovalchuk part of the team that struggled along trying to create some offense?
COACH DeBOER: A little bit of both.
Q. Do you need to do more to get him away from Doughty?
COACH DeBOER: No. Doughty is going to play as much as he has to play. There’s no getting away from that. We can’t focus on that. This time of year, you’ve got to play head-to-head against good players and you’ve got to win those battles. That’s the bottom line.
Not sure the idea of getting Kovalchuk away from Doughty should be dismissed. Eventually, it might become a necessity.
As George Santayana once said: Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 15
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)