May 31, 2012, 1:08 PM EDT
If Game 1 was any indication, Kovalchuk will see plenty of the Kings’ top blueliner during this series.
Also, it won’t be much fun for Kovi.
Doughty (along with Rob Scuderi) kept the Russian sniper quiet throughout Wednesday’s game and Kovalchuk finished with just one shot on goal in 21:13 of ice time.
Today, Devils head coach Peter DeBoer was asked about the matchup:
Q. Your thoughts on the way Ilya Kovalchuk and Drew Doughty went at it? Was Doughty that good last game or was Kovalchuk part of the team that struggled along trying to create some offense?
COACH DeBOER: A little bit of both.
Q. Do you need to do more to get him away from Doughty?
COACH DeBOER: No. Doughty is going to play as much as he has to play. There’s no getting away from that. We can’t focus on that. This time of year, you’ve got to play head-to-head against good players and you’ve got to win those battles. That’s the bottom line.
Not sure the idea of getting Kovalchuk away from Doughty should be dismissed. Eventually, it might become a necessity.
As George Santayana once said: Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 5
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 8
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 6
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 20
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 26
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 36
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)