May 31, 2012, 1:08 PM EDT
If Game 1 was any indication, Kovalchuk will see plenty of the Kings’ top blueliner during this series.
Also, it won’t be much fun for Kovi.
Doughty (along with Rob Scuderi) kept the Russian sniper quiet throughout Wednesday’s game and Kovalchuk finished with just one shot on goal in 21:13 of ice time.
Today, Devils head coach Peter DeBoer was asked about the matchup:
Q. Your thoughts on the way Ilya Kovalchuk and Drew Doughty went at it? Was Doughty that good last game or was Kovalchuk part of the team that struggled along trying to create some offense?
COACH DeBOER: A little bit of both.
Q. Do you need to do more to get him away from Doughty?
COACH DeBOER: No. Doughty is going to play as much as he has to play. There’s no getting away from that. We can’t focus on that. This time of year, you’ve got to play head-to-head against good players and you’ve got to win those battles. That’s the bottom line.
Not sure the idea of getting Kovalchuk away from Doughty should be dismissed. Eventually, it might become a necessity.
As George Santayana once said: Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 2
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)