May 31, 2012, 12:40 AM EST
The Los Angeles Kings are 9-0 on the road in the 2012 playoffs and have won 11 consecutive postseason contests away from home. They’ve only lost two games overall in the playoffs. During much of those matches, the games weren’t all that close.
Even for a team that came in with a humble eighth seed, the Kings must be brimming with confidence. Head coach Darryl Sutter is presented with an enviable challenge, but a challenge nonetheless: to keep this mostly-young team from getting overconfident. Perhaps it explains his almost hilariously simplistic take on their 2-1 OTroad victory in Game 1, then.
Question: Why do you think your team is so good on the road?
Sutter: “We won one on the road now. (The) season started today, tonight.”
Sutter’s willfully incorrect math is another example of his folksy wisdom. Honestly, if I were in his shoes, I would definitely be nervous about players such as Anze Kopitar and Drew Doughty believing their press clippings a little too much.
A ton of people picked the Kings to win the series – even video games tabbed Los Angeles – but Sutter is right to take a “we have a long way to go” approach.
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 20
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 50
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 10
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Pens’ Dupuis has blood clot in lung, out six months 25
- It’s not all Carlyle’s fault, but the Leafs’ coach is failing at his job 12
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers host Flyers on Rivalry Night 4
- Predators humiliate Leafs with 9-2 victory 34
- Video: Enroth makes diving save with his back 1
- Video: Letang’s fake shot, sweet pass tricks Price 0
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- Bettman calls Panthers relocation speculation ‘unfounded’ (36)