May 31, 2012, 12:40 AM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings are 9-0 on the road in the 2012 playoffs and have won 11 consecutive postseason contests away from home. They’ve only lost two games overall in the playoffs. During much of those matches, the games weren’t all that close.
Even for a team that came in with a humble eighth seed, the Kings must be brimming with confidence. Head coach Darryl Sutter is presented with an enviable challenge, but a challenge nonetheless: to keep this mostly-young team from getting overconfident. Perhaps it explains his almost hilariously simplistic take on their 2-1 OTroad victory in Game 1, then.
Question: Why do you think your team is so good on the road?
Sutter: “We won one on the road now. (The) season started today, tonight.”
Sutter’s willfully incorrect math is another example of his folksy wisdom. Honestly, if I were in his shoes, I would definitely be nervous about players such as Anze Kopitar and Drew Doughty believing their press clippings a little too much.
A ton of people picked the Kings to win the series – even video games tabbed Los Angeles – but Sutter is right to take a “we have a long way to go” approach.
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 5
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 14
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 8
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 57
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination