Coyotes avoided fines for Game 5 antics, but got stern lectures from Colin Campbell

May 31, 2012, 3:44 PM EDT

Coyotes 2

According to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, the Phoenix Coyotes won’t be subjected to any fines for actions following their playoff elimination.

But that doesn’t mean they got off scot-free.

NHL executive vice president Colin Campbell grilled Mike Smith, Shane Doan, Martin Hanzal and Keith Yandle over what they’d done and proceeded to give ‘em the business.

Campbell to Smith:

“Tossing your stick at the referee was real disrespectful.”

Campbell to Doan:

“Your comments after the game were not totally correct about the officiating and what you thought.”

Campbell to Hanzal:

“The way you went at the official after the game physically, you didn’t make contact, but that was disrespectful.”

Campbell to Yandle:

“I thought your comment about who was wearing what color was wrong. That’s the integrity of the game and you’re suggesting that because you didn’t have an owner that you have no support? Not a chance.”

Campbell said all four players agreed with his comments and that Doan was the most apologetic.

Campbell was also supposed to meet with Radim Vrbata but, in keeping with the spirit of the playoffs, Vrbata failed to show up. (Zing!)

1. dsd3 - May 31, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I thought this column was a poor attempt at humor, and then I realized it was actually real. Amazing.

2. dmvdmv101560 - May 31, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Really? You think Campbell’s words equal a stern lecture – are you kidding? I’ve heard worse language from my pastor. You should be taking Cambell to task in this article for wimping out and not having the balls to punish a player who threw their stick at a referee and for another player who physically confronted a referee. Who is Campbell trying to act like – Bud Selig?

3. hogblogger8i6 - May 31, 2012 at 6:38 PM

I’m just glad PHX got eliminated. I wish nothing but the worst for all of the current PHX players in the future.

They made themselves look very bad, especially Mike Smith, who I now recognize as one of the biggest crybabies in sports.

4. itwasafumble - May 31, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I have long respected Shane Doan and his gameplay, but I was pretty pissed off after the Coyotes display of poor sprotsmanship after Game 5 of the WCF. I’ll give him props after apologizing and accepting the backlash from his actions, he knows he did the sport of hockey wrong. I can even accept Yandle and the others admitting to their wrongdoing, as well.

But I will never respect Mike Smith after his behavior during this series. His chop at Brown, taking a swing at Richards and throwing his stick at the ref after the game-winning goal, claiming that Brown should be suspended for life,, and all the other crap he pulled. He is a total dick. He might have had a terrific year as a goalie, but I hope that he never gets this close again. If any player deserves a fast descent into obscurity, it is this assclown.

• itwasafumble - May 31, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Let me clarify that last post: The city of Phoenix doesn’t necessarily deserve to hit bottom again, just Smith. But their garbage tossing wasn’t exactly classy, either.

5. fiddytucker - Jun 1, 2012 at 12:20 AM

I love the last zinger! Lmao. We were gonna take out a missing persons ad too

6. fiddytucker - Jun 1, 2012 at 12:27 AM

I love Doan, if you look up his interview a day later you might cut him a little more slack. He honestly is a stand up guy. I don’t blame the true hockey fans that feel the way they feel. But to bash Phoenix just cuz of your new jersey with tags still hang’n off your sleeve, is so funny to these guys that know the game. Trust me your as clear as glass… We see through you!

7. rayburns - Jun 1, 2012 at 10:13 AM

This reminded me of that old Robin Williams bit where he talks about London policemen and their lack of guns…

“Stop! or I’ll say Stop! Again!”

8. sporkov - Jun 2, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I will preface this with, yes, I am a Coyotes fan. I grew up a Canadiens fan (was really at heart a Roy fan) in WI, and I now live in Phoenix and had season tickets for years. I began officiating hockey in ’87 and I have officiated up to college.

The stick thing with Smith and the refs was poor. The slash, I can understand having played goal for years. Not nice, but I understand it.

As for the words that were spoken, they may have been disrespectful in a way, but when you are speaking the truth, you get a lot of leeway.

I am not saying that the officiating was bad only against the Coyotes, but it was just bad. It was bad in every series. Game 2 of this series was one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen in my life. The NHL needs to hold their officials accountable and they do not.

They need to add a video referee who can overturn any call on the ice and actually add penalties. There is no reason for things like the Torres hit on Hossa to go unpunished during a game. We have the technology to make the game better and fair, the NHL needs to use it.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches