May 31, 2012, 7:32 PM EDT
With Bob Hartley in place as the Calgary Flames’ new head coach, the question is: what direction will the franchise take? There have been many who’ve been calling for a rebuild for years now, especially since they failed to make the playoffs three seasons in a row, but Hartley told John Shannon that he “doesn’t expect to be part of a rebuild.”
Of course, that doesn’t guarantee that Hartley is correct, yet just about every sign is that the Flames aren’t embracing the idea of shaking the organizational Etch-a-Sketch. GM Jay Feaster has resisted the urge to blow things up by trading Jarome Iginla or many other reset-type moves, to the chagrin of some and relief of others.
In turn, the Flames have been stuck in what seems like hockey purgatory: not good enough for the postseason, but not bad enough to draw great draft picks.
Then again, Hartley probably sides with the “don’t rebuild” model. Compare his Cup-winning days with Colorado to his frustrating time as the Atlanta Thrashers coach and it’s easy to see why – beyond more obvious job security reasons – that he’s on board with the status quo.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 1
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 17
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)