May 31, 2012, 7:32 PM EDT
With Bob Hartley in place as the Calgary Flames’ new head coach, the question is: what direction will the franchise take? There have been many who’ve been calling for a rebuild for years now, especially since they failed to make the playoffs three seasons in a row, but Hartley told John Shannon that he “doesn’t expect to be part of a rebuild.”
Of course, that doesn’t guarantee that Hartley is correct, yet just about every sign is that the Flames aren’t embracing the idea of shaking the organizational Etch-a-Sketch. GM Jay Feaster has resisted the urge to blow things up by trading Jarome Iginla or many other reset-type moves, to the chagrin of some and relief of others.
In turn, the Flames have been stuck in what seems like hockey purgatory: not good enough for the postseason, but not bad enough to draw great draft picks.
Then again, Hartley probably sides with the “don’t rebuild” model. Compare his Cup-winning days with Colorado to his frustrating time as the Atlanta Thrashers coach and it’s easy to see why – beyond more obvious job security reasons – that he’s on board with the status quo.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 5
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 48
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)