May 31, 2012, 7:32 PM EDT
With Bob Hartley in place as the Calgary Flames’ new head coach, the question is: what direction will the franchise take? There have been many who’ve been calling for a rebuild for years now, especially since they failed to make the playoffs three seasons in a row, but Hartley told John Shannon that he “doesn’t expect to be part of a rebuild.”
Of course, that doesn’t guarantee that Hartley is correct, yet just about every sign is that the Flames aren’t embracing the idea of shaking the organizational Etch-a-Sketch. GM Jay Feaster has resisted the urge to blow things up by trading Jarome Iginla or many other reset-type moves, to the chagrin of some and relief of others.
In turn, the Flames have been stuck in what seems like hockey purgatory: not good enough for the postseason, but not bad enough to draw great draft picks.
Then again, Hartley probably sides with the “don’t rebuild” model. Compare his Cup-winning days with Colorado to his frustrating time as the Atlanta Thrashers coach and it’s easy to see why – beyond more obvious job security reasons – that he’s on board with the status quo.
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 0
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 2
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)