May 31, 2012, 6:52 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings will miss Nicklas Lidstrom the most now that he decided to hang up his skates, but the NHL at a whole loses one of its biggest stars. Commissioner Gary Bettman released the following statement about Lidstrom’s departure.
“Nick Lidstrom‘s trademarks were his respect for hockey, his humanity and his commitment to his craft — as well as his devotion to the highest standards of success,” Bettman said. “For so many seasons, Nick gave the very best to his team, his city and his League; as he moves on to the next stage of his life, we wish the very same for him and his family.”
Bettman didn’t add “All that aside, pretty please come back?” but some of us wish he did.
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 2
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 10
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 34
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 6
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 55
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 14
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 42
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20