May 31, 2012, 6:52 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings will miss Nicklas Lidstrom the most now that he decided to hang up his skates, but the NHL at a whole loses one of its biggest stars. Commissioner Gary Bettman released the following statement about Lidstrom’s departure.
“Nick Lidstrom‘s trademarks were his respect for hockey, his humanity and his commitment to his craft — as well as his devotion to the highest standards of success,” Bettman said. “For so many seasons, Nick gave the very best to his team, his city and his League; as he moves on to the next stage of his life, we wish the very same for him and his family.”
Bettman didn’t add “All that aside, pretty please come back?” but some of us wish he did.
- Treliving would be ‘shocked’ if Bennett sticks with Flames in 14-15 3
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 15
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 41
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22