May 30, 2012, 11:49 PM EST
When Zach Parise scored at 3:58 of the third period of Game 1, it looked to be a huge momentum swinger for the Devils. Outshot and outplayed for a majority of the evening, New Jersey looked to have secured a crucial lead with just 16 minutes left to play.
But then came the replay:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The official ruling, from NHL.com:
At 3:58 of the third period in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final, video review confirmed the referee’s call on the ice that New Jersey’s Zach Parise directed the puck into the Los Angeles net with his glove. No goal New Jersey.
According to NHL Rule 67.6, “A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who bats or directs the puck with his hand into the net. A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who bats or directs the puck and it is deflected into the net off any player, goalkeeper or official. When the puck enters the net on a clear deflection off a glove, the goal shall be allowed.”
Kudos to Eric Stephens of the O.C. Register for the Maradona-esque “Hand of God” reference.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 26
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 13
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 78
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)