May 30, 2012, 11:49 PM EST
When Zach Parise scored at 3:58 of the third period of Game 1, it looked to be a huge momentum swinger for the Devils. Outshot and outplayed for a majority of the evening, New Jersey looked to have secured a crucial lead with just 16 minutes left to play.
But then came the replay:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The official ruling, from NHL.com:
At 3:58 of the third period in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final, video review confirmed the referee’s call on the ice that New Jersey’s Zach Parise directed the puck into the Los Angeles net with his glove. No goal New Jersey.
According to NHL Rule 67.6, “A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who bats or directs the puck with his hand into the net. A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who bats or directs the puck and it is deflected into the net off any player, goalkeeper or official. When the puck enters the net on a clear deflection off a glove, the goal shall be allowed.”
Kudos to Eric Stephens of the O.C. Register for the Maradona-esque “Hand of God” reference.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)