May 30, 2012, 11:49 PM EST
When Zach Parise scored at 3:58 of the third period of Game 1, it looked to be a huge momentum swinger for the Devils. Outshot and outplayed for a majority of the evening, New Jersey looked to have secured a crucial lead with just 16 minutes left to play.
But then came the replay:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The official ruling, from NHL.com:
At 3:58 of the third period in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final, video review confirmed the referee’s call on the ice that New Jersey’s Zach Parise directed the puck into the Los Angeles net with his glove. No goal New Jersey.
According to NHL Rule 67.6, “A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who bats or directs the puck with his hand into the net. A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who bats or directs the puck and it is deflected into the net off any player, goalkeeper or official. When the puck enters the net on a clear deflection off a glove, the goal shall be allowed.”
Kudos to Eric Stephens of the O.C. Register for the Maradona-esque “Hand of God” reference.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)