May 30, 2012, 2:25 PM EDT
According to RDS’s Vincent Damphousse (by way of TSN), former Colorado and Atlanta bench boss Bob Hartley has gone through a pair of interviews for Calgary’s head coaching job.
If the reports are accurate, it’s not surprising the Flames are interested. Hartley has a longstanding relationship with GM Jay Feaster, dating back to their days together with the Calder Cup-winning Hersey Bears in 1997 (a team that featured current NHL on NBC analyst Keith Jones.)
Hartley’s still under contract with the ZSC Lions of the Swiss League, and it’s not clear how that could affect a move to the NHL. As mentioned yesterday, TSN’s Darren Dreger said the Zurich-based team isn’t “about to rip [Hartley's contract] up and say good luck,” especially coming off a highly successful season that included a league championship.
Hartley has been out of the NHL since 2007-08, when he was fired just six games into the season. His resume boasts over 300 career victories, a .579 winning percentage and the 2001 Stanley Cup championship with Colorado.
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 6
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 2
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 54
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (68)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)