May 30, 2012, 3:18 PM EDT
Around this time last year, the Boston Bruins and Vancouver Canucks were preparing to meet in the Stanley Cup finals.
The two sides weren’t all that familiar with each other, having played only once during the regular season in a forgettable contest that included just five minor penalties.
Boston and Vancouver had never met in the postseason either, so there was no historic rivalry.
And after 20 minutes, Alex Burrows had bitten Patrice Bergeron and one of the nastiest Cup finals in recent memory was off and running.
Today, the New Jersey Devils and Los Angeles Kings are in a similar position. The clubs played twice in October, neither meeting contentious, and they’ve never faced each other in the playoffs.
But according to Devils captain Zach Parise, there’s already hate.
“I don’t know if there is much of a feeling-out period as there would be during the regular season,” Parise said today. “I think you have to hate your opponent right away and I don’t think that’s going to be a problem for either side.”
Granted, the Devils and Kings don’t feature as many divisive players as the Canucks and Bruins did – Dustin Brown is the most notable one – so asking for this series to be as nasty as last year’s might be asking too much.
But you never know – one bite and we could be off and running again.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)