May 30, 2012, 6:13 PM EDT
Yesterday, we told you about a potential meeting in August to “re-set” the rules on obstruction.
Today in New York, Colin Campbell, the NHL’s senior vice-president of hockey operations, confirmed the meeting will indeed take place.
“In March, some teams said to us that they had an issue,” said Campbell. “They said, ‘We think the standard’s dropped.’ Well, the standard on what? Holding? Interference? If it’s interference, is it interference off the faceoff? Is it off the entry? Is it the forward? Is it the defenseman? You’ve got to tell us so we can tell the referees how to call it.”
According to the Globe and Mail, the special meeting will include “general managers, coaches, players and officials.”
The challenge, of course, will be to get everyone on the same page heading into next season. For example, offensive teams might want the rules called more tightly than defensive teams.
But at least the NHL has acknowledged a discussion needs to take place. Because based on all the confusion we’ve witnessed, a discussion really needs to take place.
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 15
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 98
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 27
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 34
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)