May 30, 2012, 6:13 PM EST
Yesterday, we told you about a potential meeting in August to “re-set” the rules on obstruction.
Today in New York, Colin Campbell, the NHL’s senior vice-president of hockey operations, confirmed the meeting will indeed take place.
“In March, some teams said to us that they had an issue,” said Campbell. “They said, ‘We think the standard’s dropped.’ Well, the standard on what? Holding? Interference? If it’s interference, is it interference off the faceoff? Is it off the entry? Is it the forward? Is it the defenseman? You’ve got to tell us so we can tell the referees how to call it.”
According to the Globe and Mail, the special meeting will include “general managers, coaches, players and officials.”
The challenge, of course, will be to get everyone on the same page heading into next season. For example, offensive teams might want the rules called more tightly than defensive teams.
But at least the NHL has acknowledged a discussion needs to take place. Because based on all the confusion we’ve witnessed, a discussion really needs to take place.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 36
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 89
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 101
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 7
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (101)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (101)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)