May 30, 2012, 6:13 PM EDT
Yesterday, we told you about a potential meeting in August to “re-set” the rules on obstruction.
Today in New York, Colin Campbell, the NHL’s senior vice-president of hockey operations, confirmed the meeting will indeed take place.
“In March, some teams said to us that they had an issue,” said Campbell. “They said, ‘We think the standard’s dropped.’ Well, the standard on what? Holding? Interference? If it’s interference, is it interference off the faceoff? Is it off the entry? Is it the forward? Is it the defenseman? You’ve got to tell us so we can tell the referees how to call it.”
According to the Globe and Mail, the special meeting will include “general managers, coaches, players and officials.”
The challenge, of course, will be to get everyone on the same page heading into next season. For example, offensive teams might want the rules called more tightly than defensive teams.
But at least the NHL has acknowledged a discussion needs to take place. Because based on all the confusion we’ve witnessed, a discussion really needs to take place.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)