May 30, 2012, 6:53 PM EDT
We won’t have to wait much longer to see the beginning of NHL commissioner Gary Bettman’s CBA talks with NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr. According to Bettman, the players’ union is ready to begin negotiations, which should start soon.
Of course, when they will finish is anyone’s guess. The current CBA will expire on September 15, 2012 and if no agreement is in place before then, the 2012-13 season might not start on time. However, Bettman sounds optimistic as the process enters it’s next stage.
“I don’t understand all the speculation and the degree of negativity,” Bettman said.
It’s not clear where the battle lines will be drawn, but one likely point of contention is the revenue split between the players and owners. Currently the players take a 57% share of the revenue and the owners might seek to change that.
Unless a new CBA is agreed to before July 1, this situation might lead to a level of uncertainty for general managers going into the unrestricted free agent market. The new deal between the owners and players might change the salary cap, which means that the GMs might end up having less money to work with than they initially thought.
Either way, we’re moving forward and there are plenty of reason to be optimistic about the NHL and players’ union chances of avoiding another lockout.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)