May 30, 2012, 6:53 PM EST
We won’t have to wait much longer to see the beginning of NHL commissioner Gary Bettman’s CBA talks with NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr. According to Bettman, the players’ union is ready to begin negotiations, which should start soon.
Of course, when they will finish is anyone’s guess. The current CBA will expire on September 15, 2012 and if no agreement is in place before then, the 2012-13 season might not start on time. However, Bettman sounds optimistic as the process enters it’s next stage.
“I don’t understand all the speculation and the degree of negativity,” Bettman said.
It’s not clear where the battle lines will be drawn, but one likely point of contention is the revenue split between the players and owners. Currently the players take a 57% share of the revenue and the owners might seek to change that.
Unless a new CBA is agreed to before July 1, this situation might lead to a level of uncertainty for general managers going into the unrestricted free agent market. The new deal between the owners and players might change the salary cap, which means that the GMs might end up having less money to work with than they initially thought.
Either way, we’re moving forward and there are plenty of reason to be optimistic about the NHL and players’ union chances of avoiding another lockout.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 0
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 74
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 2
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 20
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 30
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 24
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (71)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)