May 30, 2012, 4:25 PM EDT
While there have been plenty of rumors coming from the GM meetings in New York, ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports one thing is for certain — there will be no hybrid icing in the NHL in 2012-13.
“GMs have delayed implementation of hybrid icing for next season,” he said via Twitter. “They want to see it in AHL first.”
The idea of hybrid icing — a mixture of touch and no-touch icing — gained steam back in March when the NHL GMs met in Boca Raton and recommended it go before the NHL’s Competition Committee.
More, from a Mar. 13 article at NHL.com:
“It’s easy to have these ideas and try to push them forward, but when it comes time to actually write up the rules and think of all the situations and all the scenarios that could happen on the ice, making it clear enough so that we can give our on-ice officials the proper direction, there is a lot of work to do,” [former] Montreal GM Pierre Gauthier said. “It’s going to go forward as a recommendation, but there is some cleaning up as to how exactly it is going to work and what directives we’re going to give.”
With hybrid icing, the linesman is required to make a judgment call at the faceoff dots in the offensive zone. If the forechecker is leading the race for the puck when he reaches the faceoff dots then play is allowed to continue. If the defenseman is leading the race for the puck — or if he is even with the forechecking forward at the faceoff dots — then the linesman is to blow his whistle to stop the play and immediately call icing.
As for testing hybrid icing, Kevin Allen of USA Today reported its implementation is contingent upon AHL Commissioner Dave Andrews and the AHL competition committee and board of governors.
That said, the American League has historically been cooperative in testing possible rules changes.
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 1
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 6
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 50
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury