May 30, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT
Kings general manager Dean Lombardi insists he didn’t trade for Jeff Carter out of desperation.
Nope, it was all part of the plan.
“We were always looking for another high-scoring winger, even when it came up with Carter, it wasn’t just a panic move,” Lombardi said yesterday. “From the plan perspective, I never doubted we were on the right track.”
You’d be forgiven for rolling your eyes.
When Carter – along with his oft-questioned attitude, history of foot injuries, and big, long contract – was acquired from Columbus on Feb. 23, the Kings had lost four in a row and eight of their last 10. They were the NHL’s lowest-scoring team and battling with Calgary, Dallas and Colorado for the eighth and final playoff spot.
In other words, panic would’ve been justified for Lombardi, who many believed could be fired if his team with the big payroll missed the postseason.
“There certainly were some points near the end [of the season] where it got a little dicey,” he admitted.
But it wasn’t a panic move.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)