May 30, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT
Kings general manager Dean Lombardi insists he didn’t trade for Jeff Carter out of desperation.
Nope, it was all part of the plan.
“We were always looking for another high-scoring winger, even when it came up with Carter, it wasn’t just a panic move,” Lombardi said yesterday. “From the plan perspective, I never doubted we were on the right track.”
You’d be forgiven for rolling your eyes.
When Carter – along with his oft-questioned attitude, history of foot injuries, and big, long contract – was acquired from Columbus on Feb. 23, the Kings had lost four in a row and eight of their last 10. They were the NHL’s lowest-scoring team and battling with Calgary, Dallas and Colorado for the eighth and final playoff spot.
In other words, panic would’ve been justified for Lombardi, who many believed could be fired if his team with the big payroll missed the postseason.
“There certainly were some points near the end [of the season] where it got a little dicey,” he admitted.
But it wasn’t a panic move.
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 0
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 8
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 3
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 36
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 84
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 9
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (84)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness