May 30, 2012, 5:27 PM EDT
Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin told reporters today in New York that he won’t be hiring a new head coach this week.
Bergevin also wouldn’t guarantee a new bench boss would be in place before the draft, which goes June 22-23 in Pittsburgh.
Earlier in the week, rumors were flying that the Habs had hired Bob Hartley for the position. Since then, it’s been reported Hartley has been speaking with the Calgary Flames about their head-coaching vacancy.
Perhaps Hartley will get to choose which of the two teams he joins. That is, assuming he can get out of his contract in Switzerland.
If we had to guess — and this is only a guess — we’d say Bergevin wants to hire Hartley. But if, for whatever reason, he can’t have him, he wants to reserve time to decide Plan B.
Former NHL coaches Marc Crawford and Michel Therrien are also reportedly candidates for the Montreal job.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)