May 30, 2012, 10:10 PM EDT
The New York Islanders aren’t going anywhere until their lease runs out, but the general feeling is that their days in Long Island are numbered. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman didn’t provide many concrete details, yet he backed up Isles owner Charles Wang’s (pictured) efforts to keep the team in the area, as Arthur Staple reports.
“Charles Wang is continuing, despite tremendous frustration, to look at all options to keep the club in the metropolitan area,” Bettman said. “There’s still time [to find a deal].”
Staple points to a date that might just be ominous, though. The Islanders are scheduled to play a preseason game in Brookyln, the new home of the (formerly New Jersey) on Oct. 2 – assuming that the impending CBA talks won’t eliminate such exhibitions.
The Islanders aren’t the only team in their general area to face some struggles as Bettman was also answering questions about the Devils’ financial state during his pre-Stanley Cup finals press conference.
Both situations might take some time to resolve, but Bettman’s technically right; the Isles do have time to look for solutions. Their lease runs out in 2014, so theoretically, the window hasn’t closed – on Long Island or any market hoping to nab a team that is quietly assembling solid young talent.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)