Discuss: Kings’ road dominance continues, beat Devils 2-1 in OT

May 30, 2012, 11:24 PM EDT

kings-devils

The Los Angeles Kings fired the first shot of the 2012 Stanley Cup finals, snatching home ice advantage from the Devils with a 2-1 OT win in Game 1.

If a single story emerged from the Prudential Center, it was New Jersey’s inability to get anything going. Los Angeles only blocked six shots, yet limited the Devils to just 18 shots on goal over 68:13 minutes. Other than a somewhat fluky deflection goal — a shot from Anton Volchenkov went off Slava Voynov and behind Jonathan Quick — New Jersey was unable to find the back of the net.

Some points to discuss in the comments section:

– The Devils didn’t register their first shot of the second period until there was just 5:30 minutes remaining. Even then, it wasn’t much of a shot.

Colin Fraser became the 16th Kings’ player to score during their playoff run. With that, every one of their forwards (that has participated in at least 10 games) has scored a goal.

– The Kings’ Jarret Stoll won nine out of 10 faceoff opportunities.

– Jonathan Quick won his 11th straight road game, dating to last year. That breaks former Islanders goalie Billy Smith’s NHL record of 10.

– This was the first Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals to go to overtime since 2002. In that contest, Carolina beat Detroit 3-2, but the Red Wings still won the Cup in five games.

– The Kings are now a perfect 3-0 in overtimes this postseason while the Devils fell to 4-2.

1. blkeskimo1785 - May 30, 2012 at 11:31 PM

The ice was terrible.

2. verbalnyr21 - May 30, 2012 at 11:34 PM

The Devils missed three wide open nets. Further proof that the only reason why they are in the Stanley Cup Finals is because of the lucky bounces that they got in Games 5 & 6 against the Rangers. Even the goal they scored tonight was a ridiculously lucky bounce. Go Kings!!!!!

• namriverrat69 - May 30, 2012 at 11:48 PM

The Kings won in a tough fought game in OT. 3 more wins to go to receive Lord Stanley’s Cuo.

LONG LIVE THE KINGS!!!!!!!

3. highlander24 - May 30, 2012 at 11:35 PM

3 MORE WINS!!! GO KINGS GO!!!

4. giantsfan428 - May 30, 2012 at 11:50 PM

We’re in for a hell of a series I think. The Devils dominated for most of the third period and had most of the scoring chances in overtime, but couldn’t capitalize. If they can start firing high on Quick and get some pucks into the back of the net, they’ve got a good shot at beating the Kings. They’ve already beaten one Vezina Trophy finalist in Lundqvist. If they can’t get their forecheck working, this is gonna be one short series. But one of the things the Devils have going for them is their physicality. They completely dominated the hits category and seemed to not be intimidated by the physically bigger Kings. Long story short, I can’t wait for the rest of this series, no matter who wins.

• blomfeld - May 31, 2012 at 1:10 AM

“one of the things the Devils have going for them is their physicality” …

hey pal, like are you supposed to be a comedian or something ? … the fact of the matter is, that we Kings have been off for eight days and so we’re only now getting our legs again … you Lucifers are going to be “crushed” big time ! … and the “crushing” starts on Saturday night !

GO KINGS GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=bhPrOsHWjl0

• giantsfan428 - May 31, 2012 at 2:21 AM

well I guess that’s what we’re gonna find out. But tonight the Devils were FAR more physical than the Kings, even the guys not well-known for big hits like Zubrus. And all through the playoffs I’ve been hearing how Quick is amazing and the best goalie in the playoffs. Tonight though? The Devils missed 2 or 3 open net shots, and Quick goes down far too quickly. If the Devils can get him to go down, which didn’t look too hard tonight, then they can shoot high and score. But, like I said, that’s something we’ll see going forward in the next hopefully 6 games of this series (yeah, I’m rooting for a full 7-game series. I thought tonight was just THAT entertaining).

Oh, and by the way, cool it on the exclamation points. What are we, twelve years old?

• nicknyhc - May 31, 2012 at 6:47 AM

“get some pucks into the back of the net, they’ve got a good shot at beating the Kings.”

Really? If they score goals they have a chance of winning? I love the NJ Devils’ fan’s intellect.

5. blomfeld - May 31, 2012 at 12:17 AM

WE WIN AGAIN FRIENDS ! :)

What a fantastic game tonight ! This could have honestly gone either way, as we Kings are sure in “for a fight” here against these Devils … no two ways about that. I’ve a a feeling friends that this won’t be another “Second Manassas” for us, like we enjoyed against them Canucks, Blues and Yotes ? … these Lucifers are a “bloody” good team ! Nonetheless, despite the fact that we were a little rusty tonight after our long “8 x days” layoff, we still mustered the “moxy” to carry the day … and therefore in the end, I can see us getting much stronger and back to form as this series progresses. I’m convinced that not only will victory be ours in the end, but it it will be ours with conviction ! GO KINGS GO FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• bcjim - May 31, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Congrats Sir and yes I am here mostly to read your entertaining comments, Blomfeld. I am also 100% behind the Kings against Uncle Louie and his team of Yes men.

• blomfeld - May 31, 2012 at 11:18 AM

“Fore please … Tiger Woods now driving”

Thanks Bcjim … I sure do miss all you guys from the old PGT site, talking about our man Tiger and stuff. Anyway, it’s good to see you’re one of the Kings’ men ! … and don’t worry one bit, as Lamoriello’s “yes men” are gonna get it real good ! :)

*** special video selection for the excellent commenter known as Bcjim ***

• wicky888 - May 31, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I would love to know two things:
      1. What drugs you do
      2. Where I can get them

• blomfeld - Jun 1, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Friend … the drugs which I’m addicted to are “free for the taking” for everyone !

1) love
        2) hope
        3) loyalty
        4) compassion
        5) and last but not least … a never-ending belief in the possibility of tomorrow ! :)

6. lordfletcher - May 31, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Where are all the flyer fans now ?

Cough cough Richards / Carter… Man how quickly things change in this league. WOW.

Not saying Richards or Carter are the reason for their success as a team, but clearly, it doesn’t hurt.

• wicky888 - May 31, 2012 at 9:24 AM

I’m a Flyers fan, and I’m happy for Richards and Carter. They gave us good years here in Philly, and I wouldn’t mind at all if they won the Cup. Actually, I hope they do. As long as the Penguins don’t win it I don’t really don’t care who does.

7. dannythebisforbeast - May 31, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Carter blows scored the weakest hat trick ever and has done nothing else. If we traded Quick I could see your point other wise your an idiot. they couldn’t carry the flyers to a cup and try AREN’T carrying LA to a cup. They will get to carry the actual cup though. I’ll take couturier and Schenn and their youth and potential all day over carter and Richards who have reached theirs. Where are the flyers fans?? Really we traded Justin Williams too hes had a bigger impact on LA.

• blomfeld - May 31, 2012 at 1:31 AM

“Carter blows, scored the weakest hat trick ever and has done nothing else” …

I’ll have you know friend that this statement is not only grossly inaccurate, as well it “oozes” with envy. You Flyers have been “dealt with” and therefore your opinions are no longer required here. Personally, I was very impressed with Carter’s “done that before” demeanor, when he scored his hat trick goal against the Blues. At any rate, I suspect that there exists “malice” in your comments and therefore I’m obliged to offer you the following scenario …

*** probably next week at a sporting goods store somewhere ***

store clerk: hello sir, how may I help you ?

dannythebisforbeast: I wanna buy a Flyers’ dress and I wanna buy it now !’

store clerk: I’m sorry sir, but we don’t seem to carry that type of product here …

dannythebisforbeast: shut up you idiot ! … I said I want a Flyers’ dress right now !

store clerk: very well then … Guards if you please …

dannythebisforbeast: wait a minute man ! … who are these guys ?

guards: shut up ! … KAPOW ! … KABOOM ! … KAZAM !

• ron05342 - May 31, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Someone sounds bitter.

Leave it to bitter Philly fan to dis Jeff Carter for getting a hat trick in a key playoff game. Carter-blind-hate doesn’t get much better than that.

• bcjim - May 31, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Good grief man. Surely you jest. Schenn is/has been overrated from the start and Couturier, while an excellent prospect and likable guy, will probably never produce on the Richards/Carter level.

8. 1trojanlove - May 31, 2012 at 12:27 AM

GO KINGS GO!!!

9. rake661 - May 31, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Hockey is 3 periods not one in the third!!!!!! And the devils didn’t even score it went off the kings shoulder pad.. LONG LIVE the KINGS!!!!!!!

10. dannythebisforbeast - May 31, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Hey giantsfan. Don’t think it matters where you shoot on Quick he’s not beatable right now unless you get a fluke AKA your one goal tonight

• blomfeld - May 31, 2012 at 1:41 AM

friend … it’s possible that I may have misconstrued your comments above ? … if that is ther case, then please disregard the scenario which I offered featuring you in a sporting goods store … :)

GO KINGS GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. biffnasty - May 31, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Devils are in for a short series. Kings in 5

12. simnsez - May 31, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Let’s get something straight….if Quick can be beaten high as some of you claim…..why is it that no team in the regular season and the playoffs has done it. Quick is the leading finalist for the Vezna and has by far the lowest Goals allowed and highest save percentage in the playoffs. This whole idea is a construct of the incredibly east coast centric announce team from NBC. The Devils still haven’t scored on Quick given the freak own goal off Voynov’s shoulder. End of discussion!

• blomfeld - Jun 1, 2012 at 1:23 AM

excellent comment friend ! :)

Flyers have many concerns