May 30, 2012, 11:24 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings fired the first shot of the 2012 Stanley Cup finals, snatching home ice advantage from the Devils with a 2-1 OT win in Game 1.
If a single story emerged from the Prudential Center, it was New Jersey’s inability to get anything going. Los Angeles only blocked six shots, yet limited the Devils to just 18 shots on goal over 68:13 minutes. Other than a somewhat fluky deflection goal — a shot from Anton Volchenkov went off Slava Voynov and behind Jonathan Quick — New Jersey was unable to find the back of the net.
Some points to discuss in the comments section:
— The Devils didn’t register their first shot of the second period until there was just 5:30 minutes remaining. Even then, it wasn’t much of a shot.
— Colin Fraser became the 16th Kings’ player to score during their playoff run. With that, every one of their forwards (that has participated in at least 10 games) has scored a goal.
— The Kings’ Jarret Stoll won nine out of 10 faceoff opportunities.
— Jonathan Quick won his 11th straight road game, dating to last year. That breaks former Islanders goalie Billy Smith’s NHL record of 10.
— This was the first Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals to go to overtime since 2002. In that contest, Carolina beat Detroit 3-2, but the Red Wings still won the Cup in five games.
— The Kings are now a perfect 3-0 in overtimes this postseason while the Devils fell to 4-2.
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 23
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 9
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 15
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 11
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)