May 30, 2012, 11:24 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings fired the first shot of the 2012 Stanley Cup finals, snatching home ice advantage from the Devils with a 2-1 OT win in Game 1.
If a single story emerged from the Prudential Center, it was New Jersey’s inability to get anything going. Los Angeles only blocked six shots, yet limited the Devils to just 18 shots on goal over 68:13 minutes. Other than a somewhat fluky deflection goal — a shot from Anton Volchenkov went off Slava Voynov and behind Jonathan Quick — New Jersey was unable to find the back of the net.
Some points to discuss in the comments section:
– The Devils didn’t register their first shot of the second period until there was just 5:30 minutes remaining. Even then, it wasn’t much of a shot.
– Colin Fraser became the 16th Kings’ player to score during their playoff run. With that, every one of their forwards (that has participated in at least 10 games) has scored a goal.
– The Kings’ Jarret Stoll won nine out of 10 faceoff opportunities.
– Jonathan Quick won his 11th straight road game, dating to last year. That breaks former Islanders goalie Billy Smith’s NHL record of 10.
– This was the first Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals to go to overtime since 2002. In that contest, Carolina beat Detroit 3-2, but the Red Wings still won the Cup in five games.
– The Kings are now a perfect 3-0 in overtimes this postseason while the Devils fell to 4-2.
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 12
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 19
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 15
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)