May 30, 2012, 11:24 PM EST
The Los Angeles Kings fired the first shot of the 2012 Stanley Cup finals, snatching home ice advantage from the Devils with a 2-1 OT win in Game 1.
If a single story emerged from the Prudential Center, it was New Jersey’s inability to get anything going. Los Angeles only blocked six shots, yet limited the Devils to just 18 shots on goal over 68:13 minutes. Other than a somewhat fluky deflection goal — a shot from Anton Volchenkov went off Slava Voynov and behind Jonathan Quick — New Jersey was unable to find the back of the net.
Some points to discuss in the comments section:
– The Devils didn’t register their first shot of the second period until there was just 5:30 minutes remaining. Even then, it wasn’t much of a shot.
– Colin Fraser became the 16th Kings’ player to score during their playoff run. With that, every one of their forwards (that has participated in at least 10 games) has scored a goal.
– The Kings’ Jarret Stoll won nine out of 10 faceoff opportunities.
– Jonathan Quick won his 11th straight road game, dating to last year. That breaks former Islanders goalie Billy Smith’s NHL record of 10.
– This was the first Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals to go to overtime since 2002. In that contest, Carolina beat Detroit 3-2, but the Red Wings still won the Cup in five games.
– The Kings are now a perfect 3-0 in overtimes this postseason while the Devils fell to 4-2.
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 14
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 23
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 29
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 53
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Pens’ Dupuis has blood clot in lung, out six months 25
- It’s not all Carlyle’s fault, but the Leafs’ coach is failing at his job 12
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers host Flyers on Rivalry Night 4
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (53)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- Bettman calls Panthers relocation speculation ‘unfounded’ (36)