May 30, 2012, 11:24 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings fired the first shot of the 2012 Stanley Cup finals, snatching home ice advantage from the Devils with a 2-1 OT win in Game 1.
If a single story emerged from the Prudential Center, it was New Jersey’s inability to get anything going. Los Angeles only blocked six shots, yet limited the Devils to just 18 shots on goal over 68:13 minutes. Other than a somewhat fluky deflection goal — a shot from Anton Volchenkov went off Slava Voynov and behind Jonathan Quick — New Jersey was unable to find the back of the net.
Some points to discuss in the comments section:
– The Devils didn’t register their first shot of the second period until there was just 5:30 minutes remaining. Even then, it wasn’t much of a shot.
– Colin Fraser became the 16th Kings’ player to score during their playoff run. With that, every one of their forwards (that has participated in at least 10 games) has scored a goal.
– The Kings’ Jarret Stoll won nine out of 10 faceoff opportunities.
– Jonathan Quick won his 11th straight road game, dating to last year. That breaks former Islanders goalie Billy Smith’s NHL record of 10.
– This was the first Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals to go to overtime since 2002. In that contest, Carolina beat Detroit 3-2, but the Red Wings still won the Cup in five games.
– The Kings are now a perfect 3-0 in overtimes this postseason while the Devils fell to 4-2.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)