May 30, 2012, 12:29 PM EDT
For most of the playoffs, Peter DeBoer’s answered questions about the strength of New Jersey’s forecheck.
This week, the tables have been turned.
The Devils head coach is now being asked how his club will handle LA’s ballyhooed forecheck, one that’s predicated on aggression and size. The Kings have four forwards (Anze Kopitar, Dustin Penner, Dwight King and Jordan Nolan) over 6-foot-3, 225 pounds and have dominated these playoffs by keeping puck possession in the attacking zone.
That said, DeBoer sounded confident his squad could handle L.A.
“I can tell you, you look at Philadelphia’s forwards, that was a pretty good group,” DeBoer told reporters prior to Game 1. “Florida’s forwards maybe didn’t have the high-end skill, but they were four lines deep. We’ve dealt with some good forecheck this year.”
DeBoer said he’s watched the Kings’ forecheck on tape, but claimed tape doesn’t give a real sense of their speed and size — and size will be a factor this series.
New Jersey has a smallish defense with guys like Marek Zidlicky (5-foot-11, 188 pounds), Andy Greene (5-11, 190) and Peter Harrold (6-0, 190) — they’ll be hard-pressed to deal with the aforementioned quartet of burly forwards…and other physical presences like Jeff Carter (6-4, 200) and Dustin Brown, who leads all L.A. forwards in hits.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)