May 30, 2012, 1:07 PM EDT
You could argue the L.A. Kings haven’t faced a pair of offensive studs like Ilya Kovalchuk and Zach Parise since they dealt with the Sedin twins in the opening round. For Kings coach Darryl Sutter, preparing for them means doing a lot of the same things they’ve done already in the post season.
Following today’s practice, Sutter spoke with the media and when he was asked about preparing for Kovalchuk, he discussed what goes into all of it.
“Well, we’ve had to play against dominant individual players, not necessarily always offensive guys, in every series,” Sutter said.
“You have to zero in on certain players, key in on them, prepare for them. So you’re talking about a guy who plays premiere minutes, a lot of minutes, is a shooter, and at the same time you can’t overlook players like Zach.”
Forgetting about anyone like Kovalchuk, Parise, Travis Zajac, Patrik Elias, or Adam Henrique all sound like really bad ideas for Los Angeles. Making sure everyone is accounted for is all part of the game in hockey, but you could argue the Kings haven’t faced a team like this yet in the postseason. The Kings have blitzed opponents in Game 1 in each round on the road. Doing it one more time would send a hell of a message.
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 0
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 4
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 12
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 23
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 31
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 88
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 102
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)