May 30, 2012, 1:07 PM EDT
You could argue the L.A. Kings haven’t faced a pair of offensive studs like Ilya Kovalchuk and Zach Parise since they dealt with the Sedin twins in the opening round. For Kings coach Darryl Sutter, preparing for them means doing a lot of the same things they’ve done already in the post season.
Following today’s practice, Sutter spoke with the media and when he was asked about preparing for Kovalchuk, he discussed what goes into all of it.
“Well, we’ve had to play against dominant individual players, not necessarily always offensive guys, in every series,” Sutter said.
“You have to zero in on certain players, key in on them, prepare for them. So you’re talking about a guy who plays premiere minutes, a lot of minutes, is a shooter, and at the same time you can’t overlook players like Zach.”
Forgetting about anyone like Kovalchuk, Parise, Travis Zajac, Patrik Elias, or Adam Henrique all sound like really bad ideas for Los Angeles. Making sure everyone is accounted for is all part of the game in hockey, but you could argue the Kings haven’t faced a team like this yet in the postseason. The Kings have blitzed opponents in Game 1 in each round on the road. Doing it one more time would send a hell of a message.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 24
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (43)