May 30, 2012, 1:07 PM EDT
You could argue the L.A. Kings haven’t faced a pair of offensive studs like Ilya Kovalchuk and Zach Parise since they dealt with the Sedin twins in the opening round. For Kings coach Darryl Sutter, preparing for them means doing a lot of the same things they’ve done already in the post season.
Following today’s practice, Sutter spoke with the media and when he was asked about preparing for Kovalchuk, he discussed what goes into all of it.
“Well, we’ve had to play against dominant individual players, not necessarily always offensive guys, in every series,” Sutter said.
“You have to zero in on certain players, key in on them, prepare for them. So you’re talking about a guy who plays premiere minutes, a lot of minutes, is a shooter, and at the same time you can’t overlook players like Zach.”
Forgetting about anyone like Kovalchuk, Parise, Travis Zajac, Patrik Elias, or Adam Henrique all sound like really bad ideas for Los Angeles. Making sure everyone is accounted for is all part of the game in hockey, but you could argue the Kings haven’t faced a team like this yet in the postseason. The Kings have blitzed opponents in Game 1 in each round on the road. Doing it one more time would send a hell of a message.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)