May 30, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
On Friday, the hockey world collectively LOLed at 47-year-old Dominik Hasek’s interest in an NHL comeback. Hasek hasn’t played in the league since 2008 and didn’t play (like, at all) last season, so initial reactions to this news were skeptical at best.
A few days later? Yeah, not so skeptical.
When it comes to Hasek, never say never.
“With Dominik Hasek, you can’t count anything out,” Hedberg said. “He didn’t play last year, but he had [seven] shutouts in the KHL when he was 45.”
Hedberg’s a good guy to ask about this sort of thing. At 39, he’s the fourth-oldest goalie in the league — and he backs up the second-oldest, 40-year-old Martin Brodeur.
Pang, meanwhile, felt it would be “impossible” for a 47-year-old to become a No. 1 in the NHL, but said a backup gig was within the realm of possibility.
Bedard re-iterated what Hedberg said — you can’t count Hasek out — noting that the Dominator is “as determined of an individual as I’ve ever met.”
Bedard also knows a thing or two about older goalies. In his 15 years with the Wings, he’s coached the likes of Hasek (43 at the time), Chris Osgood (38), Curtis Joseph (36) and Ken Wregget (35).
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 26
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)