May 30, 2012, 2:00 PM EST
Tonight in Newark, more than a week after advancing to the Stanley Cup finals, the Los Angeles Kings will finally be back in action.
The long layoff begs the question, what about rust? Will the Kings be covered in it against the Devils?
“We’re right on the edge there. Seven days…eight days,” said Brown. “I think you go nine or ten days you might be going a little too long.”
Granted, it’s not like the Devils played last night. They eliminated the Rangers Friday, giving them four full days of rest.
But New Jersey coach Peter DeBoer still thinks his team should be the sharper one.
“[The shorter layoff] gave us an advantage against Philly, I thought, in Game 1. I thought we were the sharper team to start that game even though we lost. I believe we outshot them,” he said. “We ended up losing that game. We ran out of gas, but I thought we were the sharper team in Game 1 probably due to the long layoff they had.”
The Devils had just two days off between the first and second rounds; Philadelphia had six.
Of course, after the Devils made short work of the Flyers and had five days to wait for the Rangers, DeBoer said, “I don’t think there’s such a thing as too much rest this time of year.”
So yeah, let’s drop the puck already.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 28
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)