May 30, 2012, 2:00 PM EST
Tonight in Newark, more than a week after advancing to the Stanley Cup finals, the Los Angeles Kings will finally be back in action.
The long layoff begs the question, what about rust? Will the Kings be covered in it against the Devils?
“We’re right on the edge there. Seven days…eight days,” said Brown. “I think you go nine or ten days you might be going a little too long.”
Granted, it’s not like the Devils played last night. They eliminated the Rangers Friday, giving them four full days of rest.
But New Jersey coach Peter DeBoer still thinks his team should be the sharper one.
“[The shorter layoff] gave us an advantage against Philly, I thought, in Game 1. I thought we were the sharper team to start that game even though we lost. I believe we outshot them,” he said. “We ended up losing that game. We ran out of gas, but I thought we were the sharper team in Game 1 probably due to the long layoff they had.”
The Devils had just two days off between the first and second rounds; Philadelphia had six.
Of course, after the Devils made short work of the Flyers and had five days to wait for the Rangers, DeBoer said, “I don’t think there’s such a thing as too much rest this time of year.”
So yeah, let’s drop the puck already.
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 20
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 56
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head 71
- Potter suspended two games for boarding Bonino 3
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension 107
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver 101
- Pittsburgh’s special teams have been pretty good; Florida’s not so much 3
- Flyers blow 4-1 lead, Caps win in shootout 25
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)