May 30, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT
There’s a poll up at CBC asking a pretty significant question (super significant if you’re into French-Canadian goaltenders):
It’s a topic worth investigating as Brodeur tries to win his fourth Stanley Cup — the same number that Roy won during his 18-year career.
That’s not the only Roy mark Brodeur’s either matched or surpassed this postseason:
– Brodeur recorded his 24th playoff shutout in Round 1, surpassing Roy’s 23.
– Brodeur’s playing in his fifth Cup finals, tying Roy.
– With his start tonight, Brodeur will join Roy as the only goalies in NHL history to play in 200 playoff games.
– If New Jersey wins it all, Brodeur will join Roy by winning Stanley Cups in three different decades.
The big discrepancy between the two is Conn Smythe trophies. Roy is the only player in league history to be named playoff MVP three times; Brodeur holds the notorious distinction of winning three Cups with zero Conn Smythe trophies.
(With the biggest ignominy coming in 2003, as the MVP went to the losing goalie — Anaheim’s J.S. Giguere.)
Finally, there’s the age factor. Roy won his last Cup at age 35 and retired at 37. Brodeur’s still going strong at 40, joining a select list of goalies that have played in a Stanley Cup final at that age — others included Johnny Bower, Lester Patrick and Jacques Plante.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)