May 30, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT
There’s a poll up at CBC asking a pretty significant question (super significant if you’re into French-Canadian goaltenders):
It’s a topic worth investigating as Brodeur tries to win his fourth Stanley Cup — the same number that Roy won during his 18-year career.
That’s not the only Roy mark Brodeur’s either matched or surpassed this postseason:
— Brodeur recorded his 24th playoff shutout in Round 1, surpassing Roy’s 23.
— Brodeur’s playing in his fifth Cup finals, tying Roy.
— With his start tonight, Brodeur will join Roy as the only goalies in NHL history to play in 200 playoff games.
— If New Jersey wins it all, Brodeur will join Roy by winning Stanley Cups in three different decades.
The big discrepancy between the two is Conn Smythe trophies. Roy is the only player in league history to be named playoff MVP three times; Brodeur holds the notorious distinction of winning three Cups with zero Conn Smythe trophies.
(With the biggest ignominy coming in 2003, as the MVP went to the losing goalie — Anaheim’s J.S. Giguere.)
Finally, there’s the age factor. Roy won his last Cup at age 35 and retired at 37. Brodeur’s still going strong at 40, joining a select list of goalies that have played in a Stanley Cup final at that age — others included Johnny Bower, Lester Patrick and Jacques Plante.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)