May 30, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT
There’s a poll up at CBC asking a pretty significant question (super significant if you’re into French-Canadian goaltenders):
It’s a topic worth investigating as Brodeur tries to win his fourth Stanley Cup — the same number that Roy won during his 18-year career.
That’s not the only Roy mark Brodeur’s either matched or surpassed this postseason:
– Brodeur recorded his 24th playoff shutout in Round 1, surpassing Roy’s 23.
– Brodeur’s playing in his fifth Cup finals, tying Roy.
– With his start tonight, Brodeur will join Roy as the only goalies in NHL history to play in 200 playoff games.
– If New Jersey wins it all, Brodeur will join Roy by winning Stanley Cups in three different decades.
The big discrepancy between the two is Conn Smythe trophies. Roy is the only player in league history to be named playoff MVP three times; Brodeur holds the notorious distinction of winning three Cups with zero Conn Smythe trophies.
(With the biggest ignominy coming in 2003, as the MVP went to the losing goalie — Anaheim’s J.S. Giguere.)
Finally, there’s the age factor. Roy won his last Cup at age 35 and retired at 37. Brodeur’s still going strong at 40, joining a select list of goalies that have played in a Stanley Cup final at that age — others included Johnny Bower, Lester Patrick and Jacques Plante.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)