May 30, 2012, 1:09 PM EST
There’s a poll up at CBC asking a pretty significant question (super significant if you’re into French-Canadian goaltenders):
It’s a topic worth investigating as Brodeur tries to win his fourth Stanley Cup — the same number that Roy won during his 18-year career.
That’s not the only Roy mark Brodeur’s either matched or surpassed this postseason:
– Brodeur recorded his 24th playoff shutout in Round 1, surpassing Roy’s 23.
– Brodeur’s playing in his fifth Cup finals, tying Roy.
– With his start tonight, Brodeur will join Roy as the only goalies in NHL history to play in 200 playoff games.
– If New Jersey wins it all, Brodeur will join Roy by winning Stanley Cups in three different decades.
The big discrepancy between the two is Conn Smythe trophies. Roy is the only player in league history to be named playoff MVP three times; Brodeur holds the notorious distinction of winning three Cups with zero Conn Smythe trophies.
(With the biggest ignominy coming in 2003, as the MVP went to the losing goalie — Anaheim’s J.S. Giguere.)
Finally, there’s the age factor. Roy won his last Cup at age 35 and retired at 37. Brodeur’s still going strong at 40, joining a select list of goalies that have played in a Stanley Cup final at that age — others included Johnny Bower, Lester Patrick and Jacques Plante.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 26
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 13
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 78
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)