May 30, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT
There’s a poll up at CBC asking a pretty significant question (super significant if you’re into French-Canadian goaltenders):
It’s a topic worth investigating as Brodeur tries to win his fourth Stanley Cup — the same number that Roy won during his 18-year career.
That’s not the only Roy mark Brodeur’s either matched or surpassed this postseason:
– Brodeur recorded his 24th playoff shutout in Round 1, surpassing Roy’s 23.
– Brodeur’s playing in his fifth Cup finals, tying Roy.
– With his start tonight, Brodeur will join Roy as the only goalies in NHL history to play in 200 playoff games.
– If New Jersey wins it all, Brodeur will join Roy by winning Stanley Cups in three different decades.
The big discrepancy between the two is Conn Smythe trophies. Roy is the only player in league history to be named playoff MVP three times; Brodeur holds the notorious distinction of winning three Cups with zero Conn Smythe trophies.
(With the biggest ignominy coming in 2003, as the MVP went to the losing goalie — Anaheim’s J.S. Giguere.)
Finally, there’s the age factor. Roy won his last Cup at age 35 and retired at 37. Brodeur’s still going strong at 40, joining a select list of goalies that have played in a Stanley Cup final at that age — others included Johnny Bower, Lester Patrick and Jacques Plante.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)