May 30, 2012, 9:45 PM EDT
When it comes to high draft picks, the Columbus Blue Jackets have one home run (Rick Nash), a couple singles and a lot of strikeouts. The Edmonton Oilers nabbed the first overall pick in the upcoming entry draft, giving them the likely option of picking (or trading the option to pick) red-hot prospect Nail Yakupov.
The leaves the Blue Jackets with the tougher choice of (likely) figuring out the next-best option and scouting director Tyler Wright told Rob Mixer just how crucial this choice will be for the franchise.
“It’s extremely important for the franchise,” Wright said. “We’re doing everything in our power to ensure we get it right.”
Wright stopped short of explaining why it’s such a pivotal pick. The Blue Jackets are likely to trade their greatest draft choice ever (Nash) this summer and while they’ve frequently picked high in drafts, they’ve ended up with plenty of blunders (most notably Nikita Filatov and Nik Zherdev).
Even if they somehow mend things with Nash, the Blue Jackets were a lousy team with their truest star. One way or another, Columbus needs to start making good on its lottery picks; this might just be the most important one they’ve had since they tabbed Nash.
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing near Stars bench (update) 4
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 5
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 18
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 24
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 36
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)