May 30, 2012, 9:45 PM EDT
When it comes to high draft picks, the Columbus Blue Jackets have one home run (Rick Nash), a couple singles and a lot of strikeouts. The Edmonton Oilers nabbed the first overall pick in the upcoming entry draft, giving them the likely option of picking (or trading the option to pick) red-hot prospect Nail Yakupov.
The leaves the Blue Jackets with the tougher choice of (likely) figuring out the next-best option and scouting director Tyler Wright told Rob Mixer just how crucial this choice will be for the franchise.
“It’s extremely important for the franchise,” Wright said. “We’re doing everything in our power to ensure we get it right.”
Wright stopped short of explaining why it’s such a pivotal pick. The Blue Jackets are likely to trade their greatest draft choice ever (Nash) this summer and while they’ve frequently picked high in drafts, they’ve ended up with plenty of blunders (most notably Nikita Filatov and Nik Zherdev).
Even if they somehow mend things with Nash, the Blue Jackets were a lousy team with their truest star. One way or another, Columbus needs to start making good on its lottery picks; this might just be the most important one they’ve had since they tabbed Nash.
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 0
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 5
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 15
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 21
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 53
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)