May 30, 2012, 9:45 PM EDT
When it comes to high draft picks, the Columbus Blue Jackets have one home run (Rick Nash), a couple singles and a lot of strikeouts. The Edmonton Oilers nabbed the first overall pick in the upcoming entry draft, giving them the likely option of picking (or trading the option to pick) red-hot prospect Nail Yakupov.
The leaves the Blue Jackets with the tougher choice of (likely) figuring out the next-best option and scouting director Tyler Wright told Rob Mixer just how crucial this choice will be for the franchise.
“It’s extremely important for the franchise,” Wright said. “We’re doing everything in our power to ensure we get it right.”
Wright stopped short of explaining why it’s such a pivotal pick. The Blue Jackets are likely to trade their greatest draft choice ever (Nash) this summer and while they’ve frequently picked high in drafts, they’ve ended up with plenty of blunders (most notably Nikita Filatov and Nik Zherdev).
Even if they somehow mend things with Nash, the Blue Jackets were a lousy team with their truest star. One way or another, Columbus needs to start making good on its lottery picks; this might just be the most important one they’ve had since they tabbed Nash.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 6
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 1
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)