May 30, 2012, 9:45 PM EST
When it comes to high draft picks, the Columbus Blue Jackets have one home run (Rick Nash), a couple singles and a lot of strikeouts. The Edmonton Oilers nabbed the first overall pick in the upcoming entry draft, giving them the likely option of picking (or trading the option to pick) red-hot prospect Nail Yakupov.
The leaves the Blue Jackets with the tougher choice of (likely) figuring out the next-best option and scouting director Tyler Wright told Rob Mixer just how crucial this choice will be for the franchise.
“It’s extremely important for the franchise,” Wright said. “We’re doing everything in our power to ensure we get it right.”
Wright stopped short of explaining why it’s such a pivotal pick. The Blue Jackets are likely to trade their greatest draft choice ever (Nash) this summer and while they’ve frequently picked high in drafts, they’ve ended up with plenty of blunders (most notably Nikita Filatov and Nik Zherdev).
Even if they somehow mend things with Nash, the Blue Jackets were a lousy team with their truest star. One way or another, Columbus needs to start making good on its lottery picks; this might just be the most important one they’ve had since they tabbed Nash.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)