May 30, 2012, 9:45 PM EST
When it comes to high draft picks, the Columbus Blue Jackets have one home run (Rick Nash), a couple singles and a lot of strikeouts. The Edmonton Oilers nabbed the first overall pick in the upcoming entry draft, giving them the likely option of picking (or trading the option to pick) red-hot prospect Nail Yakupov.
The leaves the Blue Jackets with the tougher choice of (likely) figuring out the next-best option and scouting director Tyler Wright told Rob Mixer just how crucial this choice will be for the franchise.
“It’s extremely important for the franchise,” Wright said. “We’re doing everything in our power to ensure we get it right.”
Wright stopped short of explaining why it’s such a pivotal pick. The Blue Jackets are likely to trade their greatest draft choice ever (Nash) this summer and while they’ve frequently picked high in drafts, they’ve ended up with plenty of blunders (most notably Nikita Filatov and Nik Zherdev).
Even if they somehow mend things with Nash, the Blue Jackets were a lousy team with their truest star. One way or another, Columbus needs to start making good on its lottery picks; this might just be the most important one they’ve had since they tabbed Nash.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)