May 30, 2012, 9:39 PM EST
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman answered questions on a wide variety of issues over the course of a five-minute interview. You can check it out below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
One point he made that I’d like to highlight is that the number of reported concussions went down “a little bit” this season. That might come as a surprise to some people because of all the big name players that missed significant periods of time due to head injuries. It can be easy to lose sight of the big picture when guys like Sidney Crosby, Jonathan Toews, and Chris Pronger get sidelined.
Concussions are still a serious issue, but it’s encouraging to hear that some progress is being made.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 6
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (183)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)