May 29, 2012, 11:15 PM EDT
Barring a near-miraculous change of heart, the Columbus Blue Jackets will look very different merely by trading Rick Nash this summer. Still, there will be some familiar faces, with Todd Richards getting the “interim” tag removed from his job title and depth players getting locked up.
Aaron Portzline reports that Derek MacKenzie is that next fringe guy to ink a new deal, as the team is expected to announce a new two-year deal on Wednesday. MacKenzie’s physical was significant because his 2011-12 season was marred by concussion issues.
Beyond the obvious Nash question, Portzline reports that re-signing MacKenzie narrows GM Scott Howson’s off-season “to-do list” down (assuming he’s the one doing things still, of course).
MacKenzie’s signing leaves the Blue Jackets with two free agent priorities before July 1 – defenseman Nikita Nikitin and right winger Jared Boll, both restricted free agents. The Jackets may pursue a two-way deal with goaltender Curtis Sanford, depending on what other changes happen at that position.
Then again, with trading Nash and not screwing up the No. 2 pick on the docket, keeping everything else simple might be a solid plan.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)