May 29, 2012, 10:27 AM EDT
A number of teams are looking for goaltending this summer and it sounds like the Ottawa Senators could be in the market to deal some away.
No, Craig Anderson isn’t going anywhere but youngsters like Ben Bishop or Robin Lehner could be according to Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun. Garrioch says while the Senators are happy with both players and have ideas on how to handle them for next season, teams desperate for help in goal could encourage them to make a move.
However, the Jackets, Leafs and Bolts may covet either Ottawa backup Ben Bishop or top prospect Robin Lehner.
The Senators aren’t in a hurry to trade either Bishop, acquired from the St. Louis Blues for a second-round pick at this year’s deadline, or Lehner, but that mindset could change if Murray gets an offer he can’t refuse.
Columbus has made no bones about being unhappy with Steve Mason, Toronto may have their eyes elsewhere already, and Tampa Bay said they’re not actually against trading for a goalie. Both Bishop and Lehner are young and Lehner is believed to be destined for another season in the AHL whether Bishop stays or not. If Ottawa is down to move either guy, they could score a decent haul from a desperate team.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)