May 29, 2012, 11:15 PM EDT
When the writing was on the wall that the Los Angeles Kings would make a coaching change, just about everyone expected GM Dean Lombardi to tab Darryl Sutter. Lombardi’s back was up against the wall, but that turned out to be a great decision.
Sutter is known for his plain press conferences, yet The Globe & Mail’s Eric Duhatschek’s profile reveals a coach who might not be as simple as he seems. Assistant coach Bernie Nicholls is one of the many who believes that there is more than meets the eye (and/or ears).
“When Darryl got here, one of the first things he said was, ‘I’m not a video guy,’ “ Nicholls said. “Geez, these guys do more video than when Roger Neilson was coaching. But it’s all teaching.”
“You know we had that NHL 36 [TV show]. Darryl wouldn’t let them in the dressing because he hates cameras, but I really wish he would have let them in to see him go, because he’s amazing. I don’t think people realize how smart he really is. … He’s taught these guys so much, and he’s so prepared. He doesn’t let one thing get by him.”
Much like Ken Hitchcock with the St. Louis Blues, it seems like players are responding to his personal touch as much as his knowledge of X’s and O’s. Jarret Stoll said that he appreciates the fact that Sutter “tells it like it is” but also that he really seems to “care.”
“He almost treats us as his own kids,” Stoll said. “He’ll tap you on the arm and he’ll say, ‘How are you doing today? Everything okay? How’s your family?’ “He cares. He really cares.”
It almost sounds like he might smile at them from time to time, even.
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 0
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 7
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 59
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 36
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 (61)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)