May 29, 2012, 11:15 PM EST
When the writing was on the wall that the Los Angeles Kings would make a coaching change, just about everyone expected GM Dean Lombardi to tab Darryl Sutter. Lombardi’s back was up against the wall, but that turned out to be a great decision.
Sutter is known for his plain press conferences, yet The Globe & Mail’s Eric Duhatschek’s profile reveals a coach who might not be as simple as he seems. Assistant coach Bernie Nicholls is one of the many who believes that there is more than meets the eye (and/or ears).
“When Darryl got here, one of the first things he said was, ‘I’m not a video guy,’ “ Nicholls said. “Geez, these guys do more video than when Roger Neilson was coaching. But it’s all teaching.”
“You know we had that NHL 36 [TV show]. Darryl wouldn’t let them in the dressing because he hates cameras, but I really wish he would have let them in to see him go, because he’s amazing. I don’t think people realize how smart he really is. … He’s taught these guys so much, and he’s so prepared. He doesn’t let one thing get by him.”
Much like Ken Hitchcock with the St. Louis Blues, it seems like players are responding to his personal touch as much as his knowledge of X’s and O’s. Jarret Stoll said that he appreciates the fact that Sutter “tells it like it is” but also that he really seems to “care.”
“He almost treats us as his own kids,” Stoll said. “He’ll tap you on the arm and he’ll say, ‘How are you doing today? Everything okay? How’s your family?’ “He cares. He really cares.”
It almost sounds like he might smile at them from time to time, even.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (121)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)