May 29, 2012, 11:15 PM EDT
When the writing was on the wall that the Los Angeles Kings would make a coaching change, just about everyone expected GM Dean Lombardi to tab Darryl Sutter. Lombardi’s back was up against the wall, but that turned out to be a great decision.
Sutter is known for his plain press conferences, yet The Globe & Mail’s Eric Duhatschek’s profile reveals a coach who might not be as simple as he seems. Assistant coach Bernie Nicholls is one of the many who believes that there is more than meets the eye (and/or ears).
“When Darryl got here, one of the first things he said was, ‘I’m not a video guy,’ “ Nicholls said. “Geez, these guys do more video than when Roger Neilson was coaching. But it’s all teaching.”
“You know we had that NHL 36 [TV show]. Darryl wouldn’t let them in the dressing because he hates cameras, but I really wish he would have let them in to see him go, because he’s amazing. I don’t think people realize how smart he really is. … He’s taught these guys so much, and he’s so prepared. He doesn’t let one thing get by him.”
Much like Ken Hitchcock with the St. Louis Blues, it seems like players are responding to his personal touch as much as his knowledge of X’s and O’s. Jarret Stoll said that he appreciates the fact that Sutter “tells it like it is” but also that he really seems to “care.”
“He almost treats us as his own kids,” Stoll said. “He’ll tap you on the arm and he’ll say, ‘How are you doing today? Everything okay? How’s your family?’ “He cares. He really cares.”
It almost sounds like he might smile at them from time to time, even.
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 0
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 19
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)