May 29, 2012, 11:15 PM EDT
When the writing was on the wall that the Los Angeles Kings would make a coaching change, just about everyone expected GM Dean Lombardi to tab Darryl Sutter. Lombardi’s back was up against the wall, but that turned out to be a great decision.
Sutter is known for his plain press conferences, yet The Globe & Mail’s Eric Duhatschek’s profile reveals a coach who might not be as simple as he seems. Assistant coach Bernie Nicholls is one of the many who believes that there is more than meets the eye (and/or ears).
“When Darryl got here, one of the first things he said was, ‘I’m not a video guy,’ “ Nicholls said. “Geez, these guys do more video than when Roger Neilson was coaching. But it’s all teaching.”
“You know we had that NHL 36 [TV show]. Darryl wouldn’t let them in the dressing because he hates cameras, but I really wish he would have let them in to see him go, because he’s amazing. I don’t think people realize how smart he really is. … He’s taught these guys so much, and he’s so prepared. He doesn’t let one thing get by him.”
Much like Ken Hitchcock with the St. Louis Blues, it seems like players are responding to his personal touch as much as his knowledge of X’s and O’s. Jarret Stoll said that he appreciates the fact that Sutter “tells it like it is” but also that he really seems to “care.”
“He almost treats us as his own kids,” Stoll said. “He’ll tap you on the arm and he’ll say, ‘How are you doing today? Everything okay? How’s your family?’ “He cares. He really cares.”
It almost sounds like he might smile at them from time to time, even.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 9
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 14
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 30
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 42
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 45
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)