May 29, 2012, 9:15 AM EDT
With the Devils and Kings both making the Stanley Cup finals, you’d imagine there’s a lot that both teams are doing that’s similar. For Kings goalie Jonathan Quick, he sees a lot of similarities in how the teams play.
As Quick tells Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider, the laundry list of similarities is pretty freakin’ eerie.
“They play a lot like us. They play a really strong game. They work hard. They have fast, big wingers. They have great centermen. They have a strong forecheck. So that’s something that I’ve going to see a lot of, over the next few games,” Quick says.
“I have to, if I’m able to, play the puck and try to create stuff for our defensemen so they’re not getting ran. If you look at Kovalchuk, Zach Parise, they’ve got tons of guys. Those top two lines, in general, are very potent, so we’re going to have to neutralize them.”
For the Kings, their top line has been one of the best in the playoffs with Anze Kopitar, Dustin Brown, and Justin Williams. Sounds kind of like when the Devils would use Parise, Ilya Kovalchuk and Travis Zajac together huh? Quick saying he needs to play the puck more to help his defense reminds you a lot of how Martin Brodeur would do things too.
The similarities are striking and provided both teams keep doing things their way the mirror image showdown will be like a video game where the final boss is an evil version of your character.
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 5
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 9
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2