May 29, 2012, 9:15 AM EDT
With the Devils and Kings both making the Stanley Cup finals, you’d imagine there’s a lot that both teams are doing that’s similar. For Kings goalie Jonathan Quick, he sees a lot of similarities in how the teams play.
As Quick tells Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider, the laundry list of similarities is pretty freakin’ eerie.
“They play a lot like us. They play a really strong game. They work hard. They have fast, big wingers. They have great centermen. They have a strong forecheck. So that’s something that I’ve going to see a lot of, over the next few games,” Quick says.
“I have to, if I’m able to, play the puck and try to create stuff for our defensemen so they’re not getting ran. If you look at Kovalchuk, Zach Parise, they’ve got tons of guys. Those top two lines, in general, are very potent, so we’re going to have to neutralize them.”
For the Kings, their top line has been one of the best in the playoffs with Anze Kopitar, Dustin Brown, and Justin Williams. Sounds kind of like when the Devils would use Parise, Ilya Kovalchuk and Travis Zajac together huh? Quick saying he needs to play the puck more to help his defense reminds you a lot of how Martin Brodeur would do things too.
The similarities are striking and provided both teams keep doing things their way the mirror image showdown will be like a video game where the final boss is an evil version of your character.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 46
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 65
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 32
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (82)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games