May 29, 2012, 9:15 AM EDT
With the Devils and Kings both making the Stanley Cup finals, you’d imagine there’s a lot that both teams are doing that’s similar. For Kings goalie Jonathan Quick, he sees a lot of similarities in how the teams play.
As Quick tells Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider, the laundry list of similarities is pretty freakin’ eerie.
“They play a lot like us. They play a really strong game. They work hard. They have fast, big wingers. They have great centermen. They have a strong forecheck. So that’s something that I’ve going to see a lot of, over the next few games,” Quick says.
“I have to, if I’m able to, play the puck and try to create stuff for our defensemen so they’re not getting ran. If you look at Kovalchuk, Zach Parise, they’ve got tons of guys. Those top two lines, in general, are very potent, so we’re going to have to neutralize them.”
For the Kings, their top line has been one of the best in the playoffs with Anze Kopitar, Dustin Brown, and Justin Williams. Sounds kind of like when the Devils would use Parise, Ilya Kovalchuk and Travis Zajac together huh? Quick saying he needs to play the puck more to help his defense reminds you a lot of how Martin Brodeur would do things too.
The similarities are striking and provided both teams keep doing things their way the mirror image showdown will be like a video game where the final boss is an evil version of your character.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 20
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17