May 29, 2012, 9:15 AM EST
With the Devils and Kings both making the Stanley Cup finals, you’d imagine there’s a lot that both teams are doing that’s similar. For Kings goalie Jonathan Quick, he sees a lot of similarities in how the teams play.
As Quick tells Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider, the laundry list of similarities is pretty freakin’ eerie.
“They play a lot like us. They play a really strong game. They work hard. They have fast, big wingers. They have great centermen. They have a strong forecheck. So that’s something that I’ve going to see a lot of, over the next few games,” Quick says.
“I have to, if I’m able to, play the puck and try to create stuff for our defensemen so they’re not getting ran. If you look at Kovalchuk, Zach Parise, they’ve got tons of guys. Those top two lines, in general, are very potent, so we’re going to have to neutralize them.”
For the Kings, their top line has been one of the best in the playoffs with Anze Kopitar, Dustin Brown, and Justin Williams. Sounds kind of like when the Devils would use Parise, Ilya Kovalchuk and Travis Zajac together huh? Quick saying he needs to play the puck more to help his defense reminds you a lot of how Martin Brodeur would do things too.
The similarities are striking and provided both teams keep doing things their way the mirror image showdown will be like a video game where the final boss is an evil version of your character.
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 2
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 24
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 15
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 10
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 15
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 14
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 39
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 24
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 46
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)