It’ll be Giroux vs. Rinne in the EA NHL 13 cover vote finals

May 29, 2012, 10:52 AM EST

nhl13logoprimaryrgb

It was a frantic finish in the EA Sports NHL 13 cover vote semifinals but Flyers forward Claude Giroux and Predators goalie Pekka Rinne campaigned and won their way into the finals. Considering Giroux had to knock off the likely league MVP in Evgeni Malkin and Rinne had to take down social media darling John Tavares, it’s no small feat for them to make it this far.

The prize at the end of the rainbow, of course, is the winner of the final vote getting to adorn the cover or the next edition of EA’s award-winning NHL game. The game itself hits shelves on September 11, just in time for training camps to (hopefully) open up. Labor nonsense pending, of course.

The vote between Giroux and Rinne starts today and goes on until June 4. Go ahead and cast your votes at the NHL’s site. For what it’s worth, the last goalie to be on the cover of the game was John Vanbiesbrouck back on NHL ’97.

The winner of the cover vote campaign will be unveiled as the EA SPORTS NHL 13 Cover Athlete at the 2012 NHL Awards on June 20 at the Wynn Las Vegas (7pm ET on NBC Sports Network.)

1. atb4 - May 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM

So if the “best player in the world” gets on the cover, will it be him yelling at the referees instead of skating up ice, or him throwing a headshot?

• sewell1977 - May 29, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I’m just glad its not one of the “two dirtiest players in the world” since they don’t deserve it.

• flyersgoalscoredby88 - May 29, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Malkin was already eliminated by Giroux…again.

• sportsfreak13 - May 29, 2012 at 11:33 AM

pretty sure every NHL player would rather have a cup ring, Conn smythe trophy, art Ross trophy and soon to be hart trophy. Tell me does giroux have any of those? Well at least he has the chance to win the cover of a video game is something I guess.

• crosberries - May 29, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Maybe he doesn’t have those things but how many times has Malkin been crowned best player in the world by his coach?? To celebrate giroux will tour with nickelback till they do the NHL award show.

2. geo91 - May 29, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Damn I really wanted Datysuk to get it, all these younglings will have plenty of time to get covers

3. GenoPringles - May 29, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Malkin was busy winning gold medals while Giroux sits on twitter all day n plays beer pong with fat chicks

• comeonnowguys - May 29, 2012 at 2:13 PM

To be fair, someone’s got to fill the void Patrick Kane left when he went into hiding.

• biasedhomer - May 29, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Since you know, Malkin has a cast on each wrist.

4. jpelle82 - May 29, 2012 at 11:52 AM

who cares? most guys would rather not be on it…you gotta travel around and promote it if you make the cover. then the curse sets in and you blow your knee 6 weeks into the season. Lindros in 99…pronger in 2000, even super mario in 2002. dany heatley was supposed to be on it in 04 but then he killed his team mate so he got pulled off, phaneuf sucks now since his cover. dont get me started on the madden one hillis, vince young, polamalu, shaun alexander, culpepper, mike vick…. i’m glad Malkin’s not on it.

• napoleonblownapart6887 - May 29, 2012 at 2:20 PM

So I always wondered this but is there any type of financial incentive for someone to be on the cover? I mean I suppose it would/could make you more visible to other sponsors, but is EA sending these guys any cash?

5. sportsfreak13 - May 29, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Maybe if giroux wins they could include Scott hartnells (now ex) wife in the cover then flyers management can trade giroux away to a cup contender as punishment for disrupting such an amazing locker room.

6. paulsdamnblog - May 29, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Hey look a new reason for Flyers/Pens fans to insult each other! Shouldn’t it really be Flyers/Preds fans this time? Anyone got something nasty to say about Pekka Rinne?

• jpelle82 - May 29, 2012 at 1:28 PM

pekka rinne doesnt cry to refs constantly, throw temper tantrums or random head shots, or have a coach that claims he is the best player in the world.

• sewell1977 - May 29, 2012 at 2:03 PM

No, I like Pekka

• bdfools - May 29, 2012 at 4:20 PM

That’s what she said.

7. eaglesfan723 - May 29, 2012 at 12:38 PM

It’s funny, a flyers player gets praised (even if it is a video game cover) and pens fans still have to come out and bash the flyers because they are still sour about an early exit from the flyers…word of advice..GET OVER IT

• sportsfreak13 - May 29, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Check your facts a flyer fan was the first to bring up malkin in this comments sections. I was merely defending one of my favorite players and engaging in some friendly banter. No bitterness here bc flyers won fair and square just like the pens did in 08 and 09. Stop trying to make it more then what it is because you dont have a witty comeback.

8. lsxphotog - May 29, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Either of these players would be a good star for the cover. Just glad Malkin won’t be on there. People may have mistaken it for a first person Chernobyl disaster game. (He’s ugly.)

• napoleonblownapart6887 - May 29, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Malkin may not have the prettiest face, but he’s absolutely gorgeous with the puck on his stick….

• biasedhomer - May 29, 2012 at 2:41 PM

umm, ok? Way to take a joke seriously.

• napoleonblownapart6887 - May 30, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Yeah, a joke at someone else’s expense – he doesn’t deserve that anymore than you would if someone called you ugly.

Also, I didn’t attack you or your joke, just made a comment of my own, so is it just me taking it seriously or you being defensive?

9. thedavesiknowiknow - May 29, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I’m not crazy about either, and I digress as to a reason why. I guess I’m pulling for Rinne, seeing as (correct me if I’m wrong) the last goaltender on the cover of NHL was John Vanbiesbrouck in 1997. That’s quite a lapse for the position.

10. thedavesiknowiknow - May 29, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I’m not crazy about either, and I digress as to any reasons why. I guess I’m pulling for Rinne, seeing as (correct me if I’m wrong) the last goaltender on the cover of NHL was John Vanbiesbrouck in 1997. That’s quite a lapse for the position.

11. gekkoguy82 - May 29, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Good luck Peks! Win one for the goaltenders!

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches