May 29, 2012, 10:52 AM EDT
It was a frantic finish in the EA Sports NHL 13 cover vote semifinals but Flyers forward Claude Giroux and Predators goalie Pekka Rinne campaigned and won their way into the finals. Considering Giroux had to knock off the likely league MVP in Evgeni Malkin and Rinne had to take down social media darling John Tavares, it’s no small feat for them to make it this far.
The prize at the end of the rainbow, of course, is the winner of the final vote getting to adorn the cover or the next edition of EA’s award-winning NHL game. The game itself hits shelves on September 11, just in time for training camps to (hopefully) open up. Labor nonsense pending, of course.
The vote between Giroux and Rinne starts today and goes on until June 4. Go ahead and cast your votes at the NHL’s site. For what it’s worth, the last goalie to be on the cover of the game was John Vanbiesbrouck back on NHL ’97.
The winner of the cover vote campaign will be unveiled as the EA SPORTS NHL 13 Cover Athlete at the 2012 NHL Awards on June 20 at the Wynn Las Vegas (7pm ET on NBC Sports Network.)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 11
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 14
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 31
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 44
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 50
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 28
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 53
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10