May 29, 2012, 10:52 AM EST
It was a frantic finish in the EA Sports NHL 13 cover vote semifinals but Flyers forward Claude Giroux and Predators goalie Pekka Rinne campaigned and won their way into the finals. Considering Giroux had to knock off the likely league MVP in Evgeni Malkin and Rinne had to take down social media darling John Tavares, it’s no small feat for them to make it this far.
The prize at the end of the rainbow, of course, is the winner of the final vote getting to adorn the cover or the next edition of EA’s award-winning NHL game. The game itself hits shelves on September 11, just in time for training camps to (hopefully) open up. Labor nonsense pending, of course.
The vote between Giroux and Rinne starts today and goes on until June 4. Go ahead and cast your votes at the NHL’s site. For what it’s worth, the last goalie to be on the cover of the game was John Vanbiesbrouck back on NHL ’97.
The winner of the cover vote campaign will be unveiled as the EA SPORTS NHL 13 Cover Athlete at the 2012 NHL Awards on June 20 at the Wynn Las Vegas (7pm ET on NBC Sports Network.)
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 0
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 5
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 23
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3