May 29, 2012, 10:52 AM EDT
It was a frantic finish in the EA Sports NHL 13 cover vote semifinals but Flyers forward Claude Giroux and Predators goalie Pekka Rinne campaigned and won their way into the finals. Considering Giroux had to knock off the likely league MVP in Evgeni Malkin and Rinne had to take down social media darling John Tavares, it’s no small feat for them to make it this far.
The prize at the end of the rainbow, of course, is the winner of the final vote getting to adorn the cover or the next edition of EA’s award-winning NHL game. The game itself hits shelves on September 11, just in time for training camps to (hopefully) open up. Labor nonsense pending, of course.
The vote between Giroux and Rinne starts today and goes on until June 4. Go ahead and cast your votes at the NHL’s site. For what it’s worth, the last goalie to be on the cover of the game was John Vanbiesbrouck back on NHL ’97.
The winner of the cover vote campaign will be unveiled as the EA SPORTS NHL 13 Cover Athlete at the 2012 NHL Awards on June 20 at the Wynn Las Vegas (7pm ET on NBC Sports Network.)
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 14
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 9
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)