May 29, 2012, 10:52 AM EDT
It was a frantic finish in the EA Sports NHL 13 cover vote semifinals but Flyers forward Claude Giroux and Predators goalie Pekka Rinne campaigned and won their way into the finals. Considering Giroux had to knock off the likely league MVP in Evgeni Malkin and Rinne had to take down social media darling John Tavares, it’s no small feat for them to make it this far.
The prize at the end of the rainbow, of course, is the winner of the final vote getting to adorn the cover or the next edition of EA’s award-winning NHL game. The game itself hits shelves on September 11, just in time for training camps to (hopefully) open up. Labor nonsense pending, of course.
The vote between Giroux and Rinne starts today and goes on until June 4. Go ahead and cast your votes at the NHL’s site. For what it’s worth, the last goalie to be on the cover of the game was John Vanbiesbrouck back on NHL ’97.
The winner of the cover vote campaign will be unveiled as the EA SPORTS NHL 13 Cover Athlete at the 2012 NHL Awards on June 20 at the Wynn Las Vegas (7pm ET on NBC Sports Network.)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)