May 29, 2012, 7:15 PM EST
Today at media day in Newark, Kings captain Dustin Brown was asked what his team needs to do to beat the New Jersey Devils in the Stanley Cup finals.
The answer he provided was no real surprise.
“Our forecheck is probably the key to our game,” said Brown. “To follow that up is getting through the neutral zone successfully against them is probably a key. If we can get through there, we can get on the forecheck.
“Again, our forecheck has probably been the reason we’ve been so successful.”
New Jersey forward Patrik Elias knows what the Kings are about.
“You look at their forecheck,” he said. “They’re very aggressive on the forecheck. They got some big bodies, big guys that play strong, physical hockey.”
So far they’ve held up – actually, more than held up – but if the Kings are able to consistently dump it in to places Martin Brodeur can’t get to, throw the body around, take control of the puck, and start the cycle, New Jersey’s defense could really start to wear down.
Of course, the Devils can forecheck pretty well themselves, and they’ll need to be effective against Los Angeles. After all, the more time New Jersey can spend in the attacking zone, the more time its defensemen aren’t absorbing punishment in their own end.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 11
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 28
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 63
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)