May 29, 2012, 6:05 PM EDT
Let it be known the Kings have a healthy amount of respect for the Devils.
That was one of the predominant themes of Stanley Cup media day, as Kings players went around pumping New Jersey’s tires like it was their job or something.
A good example was when Drew Doughty took the podium.
Q: Is there a benefit for both of these team having to fight to get into the Playoffs?
DOUGHTY: Yeah. We both kind of had subpar regular seasons. I think both teams have kind of got on a roll. Watching the New Jersey/Rangers series, I thought New Jersey just dominated them. You could just tell that everyone was clicking on the team, they felt good as a team.
I’ve got mixed feelings about Doughty’s analysis.
On one hand, the Devils were the better team and full value for advancing to the Cup finals.
On the other…it was a six-game series where the Devils outscored the Rangers 15-14. Two games were decided by a goal (one game went to OT), one game decided by two goals and New York won both its games 3-0.
Then again, the Devils took a stranglehold of the series, winning the final three games by a combined 12-6 score.
Then again, the Rangers were within a goal of pushing the series back to MSG for Game 7.
In conclusion, I’m still on the fence about this one.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5