May 29, 2012, 6:05 PM EDT
Let it be known the Kings have a healthy amount of respect for the Devils.
That was one of the predominant themes of Stanley Cup media day, as Kings players went around pumping New Jersey’s tires like it was their job or something.
A good example was when Drew Doughty took the podium.
Q: Is there a benefit for both of these team having to fight to get into the Playoffs?
DOUGHTY: Yeah. We both kind of had subpar regular seasons. I think both teams have kind of got on a roll. Watching the New Jersey/Rangers series, I thought New Jersey just dominated them. You could just tell that everyone was clicking on the team, they felt good as a team.
I’ve got mixed feelings about Doughty’s analysis.
On one hand, the Devils were the better team and full value for advancing to the Cup finals.
On the other…it was a six-game series where the Devils outscored the Rangers 15-14. Two games were decided by a goal (one game went to OT), one game decided by two goals and New York won both its games 3-0.
Then again, the Devils took a stranglehold of the series, winning the final three games by a combined 12-6 score.
Then again, the Rangers were within a goal of pushing the series back to MSG for Game 7.
In conclusion, I’m still on the fence about this one.
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series 2-2 against Kings 0
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 48
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Live Extra: Watch NHL Live postgame show
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner