May 29, 2012, 6:05 PM EST
Let it be known the Kings have a healthy amount of respect for the Devils.
That was one of the predominant themes of Stanley Cup media day, as Kings players went around pumping New Jersey’s tires like it was their job or something.
A good example was when Drew Doughty took the podium.
Q: Is there a benefit for both of these team having to fight to get into the Playoffs?
DOUGHTY: Yeah. We both kind of had subpar regular seasons. I think both teams have kind of got on a roll. Watching the New Jersey/Rangers series, I thought New Jersey just dominated them. You could just tell that everyone was clicking on the team, they felt good as a team.
I’ve got mixed feelings about Doughty’s analysis.
On one hand, the Devils were the better team and full value for advancing to the Cup finals.
On the other…it was a six-game series where the Devils outscored the Rangers 15-14. Two games were decided by a goal (one game went to OT), one game decided by two goals and New York won both its games 3-0.
Then again, the Devils took a stranglehold of the series, winning the final three games by a combined 12-6 score.
Then again, the Rangers were within a goal of pushing the series back to MSG for Game 7.
In conclusion, I’m still on the fence about this one.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 5
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 7
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 7
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)