May 29, 2012, 6:05 PM EST
Let it be known the Kings have a healthy amount of respect for the Devils.
That was one of the predominant themes of Stanley Cup media day, as Kings players went around pumping New Jersey’s tires like it was their job or something.
A good example was when Drew Doughty took the podium.
Q: Is there a benefit for both of these team having to fight to get into the Playoffs?
DOUGHTY: Yeah. We both kind of had subpar regular seasons. I think both teams have kind of got on a roll. Watching the New Jersey/Rangers series, I thought New Jersey just dominated them. You could just tell that everyone was clicking on the team, they felt good as a team.
I’ve got mixed feelings about Doughty’s analysis.
On one hand, the Devils were the better team and full value for advancing to the Cup finals.
On the other…it was a six-game series where the Devils outscored the Rangers 15-14. Two games were decided by a goal (one game went to OT), one game decided by two goals and New York won both its games 3-0.
Then again, the Devils took a stranglehold of the series, winning the final three games by a combined 12-6 score.
Then again, the Rangers were within a goal of pushing the series back to MSG for Game 7.
In conclusion, I’m still on the fence about this one.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 5
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 72
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (72)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)