May 29, 2012, 6:05 PM EDT
Let it be known the Kings have a healthy amount of respect for the Devils.
That was one of the predominant themes of Stanley Cup media day, as Kings players went around pumping New Jersey’s tires like it was their job or something.
A good example was when Drew Doughty took the podium.
Q: Is there a benefit for both of these team having to fight to get into the Playoffs?
DOUGHTY: Yeah. We both kind of had subpar regular seasons. I think both teams have kind of got on a roll. Watching the New Jersey/Rangers series, I thought New Jersey just dominated them. You could just tell that everyone was clicking on the team, they felt good as a team.
I’ve got mixed feelings about Doughty’s analysis.
On one hand, the Devils were the better team and full value for advancing to the Cup finals.
On the other…it was a six-game series where the Devils outscored the Rangers 15-14. Two games were decided by a goal (one game went to OT), one game decided by two goals and New York won both its games 3-0.
Then again, the Devils took a stranglehold of the series, winning the final three games by a combined 12-6 score.
Then again, the Rangers were within a goal of pushing the series back to MSG for Game 7.
In conclusion, I’m still on the fence about this one.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 0
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 38
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)