May 29, 2012, 11:49 AM EDT
The issue, it appears, is not how long the Oilers want to sign Smyth for — his agent, Don Meehan, says a two-year deal is on the table — but rather how much money the Oilers want to spend.
“Nobody is saying what the Oilers are offering,” Matheson writes. “But I wouldn’t be surprised if it was in the $2.5 million-$2.75 million range. Smyth could be looking for more than $3 million a year.”
Smyth’s in a precarious position. He’s made it known he wants to be in Edmonton (hence why he orchestrated his trade out of Los Angeles) and while he’s coming off a productive year, he’s 36 years old and struggled in the second half of the season.
It’s a very similar scenario to that of Colorado forward Milan Hejduk, who has a bunch in common with Smyth: age, career stats, etc.
Hejduk, it should be noted, recently re-upped with Colorado on a one-year deal worth $2 million (in 2011-12, he played on a one-year, $3 million deal.)
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (83)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)