May 29, 2012, 11:49 AM EST
The issue, it appears, is not how long the Oilers want to sign Smyth for — his agent, Don Meehan, says a two-year deal is on the table — but rather how much money the Oilers want to spend.
“Nobody is saying what the Oilers are offering,” Matheson writes. “But I wouldn’t be surprised if it was in the $2.5 million-$2.75 million range. Smyth could be looking for more than $3 million a year.”
Smyth’s in a precarious position. He’s made it known he wants to be in Edmonton (hence why he orchestrated his trade out of Los Angeles) and while he’s coming off a productive year, he’s 36 years old and struggled in the second half of the season.
It’s a very similar scenario to that of Colorado forward Milan Hejduk, who has a bunch in common with Smyth: age, career stats, etc.
Hejduk, it should be noted, recently re-upped with Colorado on a one-year deal worth $2 million (in 2011-12, he played on a one-year, $3 million deal.)
- PHT Morning Skate: Saying goodbye to Martin Brodeur (plus a brutal Sidney Crosby typo) 1
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 49
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 14
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)