May 29, 2012, 12:49 PM EDT
Another day, another potential free agent defenseman off the list.
Oduya arrived in Chicago at the February trade deadline and quickly became a favorite of ‘Hawks forward Patrick Kane, who said the Swedish blueliner made “plays that forwards dream of”. Oduya finished the regular season with 1G-4A-5PTS in 18 games, then proceeded to lead all ‘Hawks defensemen with three assists in a first-round playoff loss to Phoenix.
His signing thins out an already svelte market and follows the trend of teams re-upping with their free agent defensemen. Lesser-lights like Jamie McBain, Alexander Sulzer, Clayton Stoner stuck with Carolina, Buffalo and Minnesota respectively while Philadelphia locked in Nicklas Grossman after acquiring him at the deadline.
We’re still waiting on the financial terms of Oduya’s deal, though CSN Chicago’s Chris Boden says “his understanding” is that Oduya took a pay cut from his last deal ($3.5 million annually) in exchange for longer term.
UPDATE: TSN’s Darren Dreger says the deal has an average annual salary of $3.357 million.
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 0
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 11
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 15
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 9
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 29
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)