May 28, 2012, 1:08 PM EDT
21-year-old Derek Stepan has appeared in back-to-back playoffs and already has 25 postseason contests on his resume.
That said, he can’t be happy with how he’s played.
The Rangers forward went scoreless in last year’s playoffs and struggled again this year, scoring just one goal in 20 games. That included a no-goal, one-assist, minus-2 performance in six games against the Devils, something he clearly wasn’t happy with.
“I don’t think I was as sharp as I could’ve been in the conference finals,” he said during New York’s end-of-season media session. “I don’t know what it had to do with.”
Stepan has been a solid regular season contributor for the Rangers since breaking into the league, scoring 45 points as a rookie, 51 as a sophomore (finishing fourth on the team.) While young players often experience a dropoff in production come playoff time, the significance of Stepan’s disappearing act was heightened by the fact New York desperately needed him on board offensively.
While others also failed to show up (Marian Gaborik, Carl Hagelin,), the Rangers really needed more production down the middle after Brad Richards. Centers Brian Boyle and John Mitchell were mostly out there in a defensive/checking role, so the responsibility fell to Stepan.
It might seem harsh putting goat horns on a kid two years removed from the University of Wisconsin, but that’s the way the Rangers are built.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)