May 28, 2012, 1:48 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators may know very soon if they’ll get Ryan Suter back. The defenseman’s agent, Neil Sheehy, told The Tennessean he plans to speak with Preds GM David Poile “sometime this week” about his client’s future.
Suter could become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. Or, he could sign with Nashville beforehand. Or, his exclusive negotiating rights could be traded beforehand, a la Jay Bouwmeester in 2009.
According to The Tennessean, “the fact that the Predators and Suter are willing to discuss his status should be considered a ‘not bad’ sign for Nashville. After all, Suter could have easily said ‘no’ and decided to test his value on the open market.”
The consensus opinion among observers is that Suter will sign elsewhere, with Detroit emerging as the favorite destination.
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 4
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 5
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 30
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 52
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 82
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut