May 28, 2012, 1:48 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators may know very soon if they’ll get Ryan Suter back. The defenseman’s agent, Neil Sheehy, told The Tennessean he plans to speak with Preds GM David Poile “sometime this week” about his client’s future.
Suter could become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. Or, he could sign with Nashville beforehand. Or, his exclusive negotiating rights could be traded beforehand, a la Jay Bouwmeester in 2009.
According to The Tennessean, “the fact that the Predators and Suter are willing to discuss his status should be considered a ‘not bad’ sign for Nashville. After all, Suter could have easily said ‘no’ and decided to test his value on the open market.”
The consensus opinion among observers is that Suter will sign elsewhere, with Detroit emerging as the favorite destination.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)