May 28, 2012, 1:48 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators may know very soon if they’ll get Ryan Suter back. The defenseman’s agent, Neil Sheehy, told The Tennessean he plans to speak with Preds GM David Poile “sometime this week” about his client’s future.
Suter could become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. Or, he could sign with Nashville beforehand. Or, his exclusive negotiating rights could be traded beforehand, a la Jay Bouwmeester in 2009.
According to The Tennessean, “the fact that the Predators and Suter are willing to discuss his status should be considered a ‘not bad’ sign for Nashville. After all, Suter could have easily said ‘no’ and decided to test his value on the open market.”
The consensus opinion among observers is that Suter will sign elsewhere, with Detroit emerging as the favorite destination.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 117
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (117)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)