May 28, 2012, 1:48 PM EST
The Nashville Predators may know very soon if they’ll get Ryan Suter back. The defenseman’s agent, Neil Sheehy, told The Tennessean he plans to speak with Preds GM David Poile “sometime this week” about his client’s future.
Suter could become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. Or, he could sign with Nashville beforehand. Or, his exclusive negotiating rights could be traded beforehand, a la Jay Bouwmeester in 2009.
According to The Tennessean, “the fact that the Predators and Suter are willing to discuss his status should be considered a ‘not bad’ sign for Nashville. After all, Suter could have easily said ‘no’ and decided to test his value on the open market.”
The consensus opinion among observers is that Suter will sign elsewhere, with Detroit emerging as the favorite destination.
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 6
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 20
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)