NHL names O’Halloran, O’Rourke, Rooney and Watson Stanley Cup finals referees

May 28, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT

Anaheim Ducks v Phoenix Coyotes Getty Images

According to the NHL Officials Association, referees Dan O’Halloran, Dan O’Rourke, Chris Rooney and Brad Watson have been selected to work the 2012 Stanley Cup finals.

(In case you’re curious, the linesmen will be Derek “Give ‘em Hell” Amell, “Mean” Jean Morin, Jonny “What happened to the H?” Murray and Pierre “Red Light” Racicot.)

O’Rourke and O’Halloran are the only holdovers from the 2011 Cup finals between Vancouver and Boston. This will be Watson’s first Cup finals since 2008, though he’s hardly any stranger having worked in 2003, 2004, 2006 and 2007. After minutes of exhaustive research, it does not appear as though Rooney’s ever worked a Cup finals.

But hey, enough about the guys still working — we want to know who got cut!

Of the eight referees that worked the conference finals, Chris Lee, Wes McCauley, Kelly Sutherland and Kevin Pollock were dropped. Pollock, you’ll recall, was the referee that called the interference penalty on Drew Doughty in Game 5 (in OT) of the Western Conference finals.

A call that led to Doughty’s calm, rational response.

Interestingly enough, Pollock worked that game — one marked by questionable officiating — with Watson, who’s going to the finals.

As for the others…

– McCauley was one of the referees called out by Phoenix head coach Dave Tippett (the other being O’Halloran) after a Game 3 loss to L.A.

– Sutherland called the 2011 Cup finals, so it’s a bit surprising he wasn’t asked back. Mind you, this was his calling card from that series…

– I don’t recall Lee being at the center of anything controversial, so perhaps he was the odd man out because of his limited postseason experience.

1. rickyspanish - May 28, 2012 at 5:37 PM

O’Yeah!

2. blueblood86 - May 28, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Who cares?????
    kings will still win.

3. blomfeld - May 28, 2012 at 10:15 PM

“A call that led to Doughty’s calm, rational response” …

I do hope that this statement isn’t indicative of the type of reporting which we’ll be getting from you people over the next two weeks ? … some smarmy “east coast” bias, oozing with contempt. Pollock’s call on Doughty was “pathetic” and it damn near cost us Kings the game … you know that and so does everybody else. Drew’s passionate and emotional reaction was both “moving” to all who saw it and it was “telling” in terms of the type of terrific team leader which he is. We Kings are going to defeat these Devils and no amount of Yankee “east coast” bias in the media is going to make the slightest bit of difference !

GO DREW GO !!!!!!!!!!!! … GO KINGS GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• zach28 - May 29, 2012 at 2:49 AM

the kings. nearly cost THE kings. you are not an LA king. you arent part of the team. its not us, its them.

• blomfeld - May 29, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Speak for yourself friend, as I’m not sure where you live ? … but here in Vancouver, I can tell you that we are constantly bombarded with this message that “We are all Canucks” … well I reject that message, I always have and I always will, because I’m an LA King and I’m very proud of that too ! :)

• comeonnowguys - May 29, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Consider the source, B? I would figure that would be a great example of why you shouldn’t do that. :)

• schlitzy - May 29, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Relax!! He was just trying inject a bit of humor into the article. ( i thought it was funny) Stop taking everything so seriously. Your team is in the Stanley Cup Finals, quit jumping to conclusions and enjoy the ride!!

4. nicknyhc - May 29, 2012 at 1:16 AM

What is this a St. Patrick’s Day celebration on ice?

• comeonnowguys - May 29, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Shhh!

That would be another reason for some media entity to play “I’m Shipping Up to Boston.” Enough already.

5. captaincanuck84 - May 29, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Blomfeld, you do realize that the writer for this post is not American or from the east coast, right? Doughty had a response that was out of control regardless if he had a right to be upset, which he did, so tone down the chugging of haterade pal. Kings will still win, no need to get so defensive.

• zach28 - May 29, 2012 at 2:50 AM

the canucks suck. boston owned them.

• blomfeld - May 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Captaincanuck84 … on May 6 in my “reverse” poll, I gave the excellent journalist Dadoun a score of “9.8″ in terms of his “ability as a PHT writer to accurately report on the greatness which is our LA Kings” … needless to say, this Halford character did not score nearly as well in my poll. The bottom line is that the more the Kings have proven everyone wrong in these playoffs, the more these writers like Halford are invoking an “anti” Kings tone into their articles. I reject that fact and so should you !

6. cweez2 - May 29, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Can Boston afford to have that many cops gone?

• comeonnowguys - May 29, 2012 at 9:45 AM

7. boisehockeyref - May 30, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Not good. Dan O’Rourke has no business in the finals. Remember the “embellishment” penalty on Dustin Brown when he got his legs chopped out from under him by Phoenix goalie Mike Smith? Or in New York when Ryan Callahan was giving Ilya Kovalchuk a little helmet wash while Kovalchuk was down, and Ilya responded with a spear to the mid section, right in front of O’Rourke? He was the last person I would expect to be in the finals…Poor decision in my opinion…

• cthompson1983 - May 30, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I am a very big hockey fan and I watch a lot of hockey in my opinion Brad Watson, Dan O’Halloran, Chris Rooney, and Dan O’Rourke are very good Referees. Good decision…very good decision in my opinion…

8. boisehockeyref - Jun 1, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Ctompson1983, you may be a big fan, and I applaud that, but I take it you have never officiate the sport. I have for over 20 years, and I can spot horrific officiating when I see it. O’Rourke choked in the conference finals and should not have advanced. However, I thought Game 1 that was worked by O’Hallaran and Watson was well done. Time will see if any improvement has been made by O’Rourke. I’m not holding my collective breath. But, if he does, I will be happy.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches