May 28, 2012, 11:34 AM EST
The “teacher vs. student” story line is one that will populate the Stanley Cup finals this year. We’ve got a bit of it in seeing Mike Richards go up against his former junior coach Peter DeBoer, but there’s one at the executive level as well.
Kings GM Dean Lombardi views Devils GM Lou Lamoriello as his mentor and tells Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice, he’s more than thankful for everything Lamoriello has done to help him become one of the top general managers in the NHL. It all dates back to when Lombardi became the GM of the San Jose Sharks and needed some guidance, something Lamoriello was happy to hook him up with.
“You just get the sense that if he sees somebody who really wants to work and do the right thing, he’ll reach out,” said Lombardi, a Holyoke, Mass. native who took over as the Kings GM in 2006. “It’s kind of strange. It’s kind of that godfather mentality. Who knows? Maybe it’s because we’re both Italian.”
All of a sudden it looks like something out of “Goodfellas” only without the gunfire, violence, and swearing.
All right, maybe there’s some swearing but Lamoriello tells Gulitti helping people out when they ask for advice is something others did for him as well. Don’t expect things to be quite so kind once the puck drops on Wednesday night but the mutual respect will always be there.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 36
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)