May 28, 2012, 11:34 AM EDT
The “teacher vs. student” story line is one that will populate the Stanley Cup finals this year. We’ve got a bit of it in seeing Mike Richards go up against his former junior coach Peter DeBoer, but there’s one at the executive level as well.
Kings GM Dean Lombardi views Devils GM Lou Lamoriello as his mentor and tells Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice, he’s more than thankful for everything Lamoriello has done to help him become one of the top general managers in the NHL. It all dates back to when Lombardi became the GM of the San Jose Sharks and needed some guidance, something Lamoriello was happy to hook him up with.
“You just get the sense that if he sees somebody who really wants to work and do the right thing, he’ll reach out,” said Lombardi, a Holyoke, Mass. native who took over as the Kings GM in 2006. “It’s kind of strange. It’s kind of that godfather mentality. Who knows? Maybe it’s because we’re both Italian.”
All of a sudden it looks like something out of “Goodfellas” only without the gunfire, violence, and swearing.
All right, maybe there’s some swearing but Lamoriello tells Gulitti helping people out when they ask for advice is something others did for him as well. Don’t expect things to be quite so kind once the puck drops on Wednesday night but the mutual respect will always be there.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 17
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 12
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 63
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)