May 28, 2012, 10:40 AM EDT
Drew Doughty‘s season got off to a slow start, partly in thanks to him missing training camp in a contract dispute with the team. As the season wore on, he got better and in the playoffs he’s been, at times, the best player on the ice.
The man responsible for Doughty’s awakening? Kings assistant coach, and former Flyers head man, John Stevens. Helene Elliott hears from Stevens about what he did to help Doughty elevate his game.
“I was just trying to get him really focused in on the details, the preparation and the practice habits and all that stuff that I knew could make him an even better player,” Stevens said. “On top of that, Drew might be one of the most gifted, talented players ever and I was probably one of the least gifted, talented players ever, so we have two different personalities.
“I was really trying to get a marriage of his really great, God-given talent and his commitment to focus on details and fundamentals. To his credit, he’s done that.”
That’s a good job out of both Stevens and Doughty as the Kings’ defense is rather nondescript in its play. Doughty’s play helps make things go from the blue line though as he’s been huge all playoffs putting up two goals and eight assists and looked like the guy who was a Norris Trophy finalist two years ago. That sort of play helped make him a huge factor in helping the Kings win the Western Conference and become a Conn Smythe Trophy consideration.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 9
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 29
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)