May 28, 2012, 10:40 AM EDT
Drew Doughty‘s season got off to a slow start, partly in thanks to him missing training camp in a contract dispute with the team. As the season wore on, he got better and in the playoffs he’s been, at times, the best player on the ice.
The man responsible for Doughty’s awakening? Kings assistant coach, and former Flyers head man, John Stevens. Helene Elliott hears from Stevens about what he did to help Doughty elevate his game.
“I was just trying to get him really focused in on the details, the preparation and the practice habits and all that stuff that I knew could make him an even better player,” Stevens said. “On top of that, Drew might be one of the most gifted, talented players ever and I was probably one of the least gifted, talented players ever, so we have two different personalities.
“I was really trying to get a marriage of his really great, God-given talent and his commitment to focus on details and fundamentals. To his credit, he’s done that.”
That’s a good job out of both Stevens and Doughty as the Kings’ defense is rather nondescript in its play. Doughty’s play helps make things go from the blue line though as he’s been huge all playoffs putting up two goals and eight assists and looked like the guy who was a Norris Trophy finalist two years ago. That sort of play helped make him a huge factor in helping the Kings win the Western Conference and become a Conn Smythe Trophy consideration.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 3
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 20
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 81
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 79
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 0
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 17
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 16
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (83)
- Stoll charged with cocaine possession, but not MDMA possession (82)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (81)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)