May 28, 2012, 10:40 AM EST
Drew Doughty‘s season got off to a slow start, partly in thanks to him missing training camp in a contract dispute with the team. As the season wore on, he got better and in the playoffs he’s been, at times, the best player on the ice.
The man responsible for Doughty’s awakening? Kings assistant coach, and former Flyers head man, John Stevens. Helene Elliott hears from Stevens about what he did to help Doughty elevate his game.
“I was just trying to get him really focused in on the details, the preparation and the practice habits and all that stuff that I knew could make him an even better player,” Stevens said. “On top of that, Drew might be one of the most gifted, talented players ever and I was probably one of the least gifted, talented players ever, so we have two different personalities.
“I was really trying to get a marriage of his really great, God-given talent and his commitment to focus on details and fundamentals. To his credit, he’s done that.”
That’s a good job out of both Stevens and Doughty as the Kings’ defense is rather nondescript in its play. Doughty’s play helps make things go from the blue line though as he’s been huge all playoffs putting up two goals and eight assists and looked like the guy who was a Norris Trophy finalist two years ago. That sort of play helped make him a huge factor in helping the Kings win the Western Conference and become a Conn Smythe Trophy consideration.
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 0
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)