May 28, 2012, 1:21 PM EST
Marcel Dionne is the greatest NHL player that never made it past the second round of the playoffs. He retired in 1989 with 1,771 points, currently behind only Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Gordie Howe and Ron Francis. Eight times he scored 100-plus points in a season.
Yet Dionne also retired with just 49 postseason games on his résumé.
The Calgary Herald caught up with the Los Angeles Kings legend to get his thoughts on his former team’s run to the Stanley Cup finals.
“If L.A. wins,” said Dionne, “and the timing is good because the Lakers are out and so are the Clippers, it’s gonna be the biggest show in town. Bigger than Gretzky. You watch.
“Hey, it’s kinda nice you win for a change. Losing is no fun. I know. That’s how I felt all those years.”
He wasn’t entirely enthusiastic though. Dionne thinks the modern game’s entertainment value leaves a lot to be desired.
“The style we’re watching? It is boring hockey,” he said. “Really boring. Out-muscling, out-bumping. The game’s almost all played along the boards. In my day, as soon as I got the puck, I faced the play. Now, you watch (Anze) Kopitar, the way he protects the puck. He puts his back towards the defenseman, the defenseman can’t do anything. He goes to the left. Then he comes back to the right.
“In the meantime, nothing happens.
“Very seldom do you see a forward beat a defenseman 1-on-1. Doesn’t happen. And the way Wayne (Gretzky) used to curl and trap guys? Very, very few players do this now. There’s just no room out there.”
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 6
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 20
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)