May 28, 2012, 3:57 PM EST
The Devils were almost at full health prior to the Stanley Cup finals.
Today, they got there.
That’s the word out of New Jersey as defenseman Henrik Tallinder said he’s been medically cleared from acute thrombophlebitis — blood clots in his leg — and is ready to play.
“I’m going to sign the release paper today and then we’ll see — it’s the coach’s decision,” Tallinder told NorthJersey.com. “It’s pretty rough to come in [after such a long layoff] and I don’t think he would change anything now, but we’ll see.
“We lost a lot of defensemen one year in Buffalo in the conference finals. Now, we’re in the Stanley Cup, so you never know what’s going to happen.”
The 33-year-old skated with rookie Adam Larsson at Devils practice today in what amounted to the fourth (healthy scratch) defensive pairing. Neither expects to be in the lineup for Game 1 on Wednesday, though head coach Peter DeBoer said Tallinder’s “ready to go” and would have “no apprehension” about playing the veteran if need be.
Tallinder hasn’t played since Jan. 19. In 39 games this year he had 0G-6A-6PTS while averaging over 21 minutes per game.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)