May 28, 2012, 3:57 PM EDT
The Devils were almost at full health prior to the Stanley Cup finals.
Today, they got there.
That’s the word out of New Jersey as defenseman Henrik Tallinder said he’s been medically cleared from acute thrombophlebitis — blood clots in his leg — and is ready to play.
“I’m going to sign the release paper today and then we’ll see — it’s the coach’s decision,” Tallinder told NorthJersey.com. “It’s pretty rough to come in [after such a long layoff] and I don’t think he would change anything now, but we’ll see.
“We lost a lot of defensemen one year in Buffalo in the conference finals. Now, we’re in the Stanley Cup, so you never know what’s going to happen.”
The 33-year-old skated with rookie Adam Larsson at Devils practice today in what amounted to the fourth (healthy scratch) defensive pairing. Neither expects to be in the lineup for Game 1 on Wednesday, though head coach Peter DeBoer said Tallinder’s “ready to go” and would have “no apprehension” about playing the veteran if need be.
Tallinder hasn’t played since Jan. 19. In 39 games this year he had 0G-6A-6PTS while averaging over 21 minutes per game.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)