May 28, 2012, 3:57 PM EDT
The Devils were almost at full health prior to the Stanley Cup finals.
Today, they got there.
That’s the word out of New Jersey as defenseman Henrik Tallinder said he’s been medically cleared from acute thrombophlebitis — blood clots in his leg — and is ready to play.
“I’m going to sign the release paper today and then we’ll see — it’s the coach’s decision,” Tallinder told NorthJersey.com. “It’s pretty rough to come in [after such a long layoff] and I don’t think he would change anything now, but we’ll see.
“We lost a lot of defensemen one year in Buffalo in the conference finals. Now, we’re in the Stanley Cup, so you never know what’s going to happen.”
The 33-year-old skated with rookie Adam Larsson at Devils practice today in what amounted to the fourth (healthy scratch) defensive pairing. Neither expects to be in the lineup for Game 1 on Wednesday, though head coach Peter DeBoer said Tallinder’s “ready to go” and would have “no apprehension” about playing the veteran if need be.
Tallinder hasn’t played since Jan. 19. In 39 games this year he had 0G-6A-6PTS while averaging over 21 minutes per game.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)