May 28, 2012, 10:56 AM EDT
If there’s someone on the Devils roster the Kings are going to want to keep a watchful eye on it’s Ilya Kovalchuk. Kovalchuk is the top point scorer in the postseason and he’s been a monster all playoffs long for New Jersey. He’s also the guy the Kings tried to sign two summers ago as a free agent.
“Well, he’s big, he’s strong and he’s fast. With Kovalchuk, with his skill level and his skill set, I think it’s important for guys just to get in his way. He’s one of those players who, if you give him the time and space and the open ice to gather up his speed, he’s pretty hard to defend,” Brown said.
“You have to try to slow him down, and that’s a matter of guys stepping in front of him. It sounds repetitive, but it’s the same thing against every team. You’ve got to make it hard on their top players, because if you don’t, they’ll make you pay, maybe even more so with his skill set. It’s probably one of the best individual skill sets we have faced in the playoffs.”
That’s not tire-pumping, that’s real complimentary stuff from Brown. The closest the Kings had to facing an offensive stud like Kovalchuk in the playoffs were the Sedin twins in the first round. St. Louis didn’t have a go-to dominant force and Phoenix’s offense cooled off big in the playoffs.
Kovalchuk along with Zach Parise have the potential to crush the Kings’ Stanley Cup dreams and they’ll have their hands full trying to contain them all.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)