May 28, 2012, 6:35 PM EDT
Bryce Salvador wasn’t a part of the New Jersey Devils’ roller coaster of a 2010-11 campaign. He missed their horrid start, startling second half climb, and he wasn’t playing when they were ultimately eliminated in the regular season. Instead, he spent the entire season trying to recover from a concussion.
He returned for the 2011-12 campaign and has managed to play in all 100 of the Devils regular season and playoff games. That’s an accomplishment by itself, but what’s really made him stick out is his performance in the postseason.
Salvador is primarily known for his defensive abilities, but he leads all Devils and Kings blueliners with 11 points in the playoffs. That’s after recording all of nine points in the regular season.
“There is someone like that every year in the NHL playoffs, whether it’s a forward that gets hot or a defenseman that comes out of nowhere or a goaltender that shows up that no one’s heard of,” Devils coach Pete DeBoer said. “I think that’s the beauty of the NHL playoffs. And Bryce has been outstanding.”
Players like that are also some of the biggest X-factors in the Stanley Cup finals. Will Salvador continue to perform well beyond expectations or will the Kings do a better job of containing him? One fun statistic to keep in mind is that the Devils are 8-0 in 2012 playoff games where Salvador records at least one point. They are 4-6 in the remainder of their postseason contests.
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 9
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 18
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 13
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 125
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (125)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)