May 27, 2012, 6:00 PM EDT
Let’s just get the question out of the way: Should Martin Brodeur retire if New Jersey wins the Cup?
All season long Brodeur has talked like a guy who seems pretty set on coming back next season, even when he’s saying he’s not 100-percent sure. Retirement is on his mind but it hasn’t seemed to be his motivation this year. After all, he’s looked great in the playoffs and for the entire second half of the season and he’s told Renaud Lavoie from RDS he has no intention to retire after the playoffs.
Still though, if the Devils go on to win the Stanley Cup this season, what’s left for Brodeur to do?
A Cup this year would be his fourth, giving him as many as Patrick Roy had in his career and twice as many as Dominik Hasek. If Brodeur managed to win the Conn Smythe Trophy, that would give him one award, aside from the Hart Trophy, that’s eluded him in his Hall-Of-Fame career. At 40-years-old, finding new records to set and awards to win when you’re already, arguably, the best goaltender in history might prove impossible.
Going out riding high is everyone’s dream, but for Brodeur going out when he’s good and ready to seems to be more likely. No one wants to see a legendary player go out the way say Michael Jordan did in ignominy in Washington as a Wizard rather than as a champion in Chicago.
What do you think? If the Devils win it all, should Marty take a seat? Vote in our poll or leave us a comment.
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 26
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)