May 27, 2012, 6:00 PM EDT
Let’s just get the question out of the way: Should Martin Brodeur retire if New Jersey wins the Cup?
All season long Brodeur has talked like a guy who seems pretty set on coming back next season, even when he’s saying he’s not 100-percent sure. Retirement is on his mind but it hasn’t seemed to be his motivation this year. After all, he’s looked great in the playoffs and for the entire second half of the season and he’s told Renaud Lavoie from RDS he has no intention to retire after the playoffs.
Still though, if the Devils go on to win the Stanley Cup this season, what’s left for Brodeur to do?
A Cup this year would be his fourth, giving him as many as Patrick Roy had in his career and twice as many as Dominik Hasek. If Brodeur managed to win the Conn Smythe Trophy, that would give him one award, aside from the Hart Trophy, that’s eluded him in his Hall-Of-Fame career. At 40-years-old, finding new records to set and awards to win when you’re already, arguably, the best goaltender in history might prove impossible.
Going out riding high is everyone’s dream, but for Brodeur going out when he’s good and ready to seems to be more likely. No one wants to see a legendary player go out the way say Michael Jordan did in ignominy in Washington as a Wizard rather than as a champion in Chicago.
What do you think? If the Devils win it all, should Marty take a seat? Vote in our poll or leave us a comment.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 0
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 37
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 28
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 24
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)